No Heat

Old 01-03-03, 06:24 PM
Dorseyj
Visiting Guest
Angry No Heat

I live in Maryland. Temp has been hovering around 32 for weeks. I have a Trane XE 900 Heat Pump its about 10yrs old and a GE Air Handler Model #BWE9306100E0 Mfg 1978. I noticed the heat and AC didn't work before I moved into this house about 6months ago in July. The Heat Pump and Air Handler both come on but NO Heat or AC, not even the Emergancy Heat works. The Agent selling the house agreed to have the problem fixed. The repair guy has been here three times. After each time he has been here the Aux Heat and Emergency Heat only lasts btween 5 days and 2 weeks. The first two times he said he had to replace a diode. The third visit he said that he had to bypass the shutoff switch that my eletricity supplier (BG&E) had installed on the heat pump to cylcle the AC on and off during the summer months. BG&E checked thier eqiupment and said it is working properly. Has this guy been pulling my leg? What could be the problem?

DorseyJ

Old 01-03-03, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Thumbs down

Dorseyj:

It does not sound as if you are getting a quality service company to work on your furnace.

If it's the real estate company that has hired him I would suspect they are more concerned with quality than price.
The few real estate companies I have dealt with were not overly concerned about how long any job would last.
Maybe it's the agent's taxi driving brother-in law.

If you are paying and then being reimbursed then look for someone else.

Old 01-03-03, 08:41 PM
Dorseyj
Visiting Guest
I have spoken to my lawyer about possibly taking this situation to court. But do you have a idea on what the problem may be?

Dorseyj

Old 01-04-03, 03:25 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
You could have a variety of problems...from bad air flow to bad controls to bad equipment. Time to get your own servicer to check out the system.

Old 01-04-03, 04:43 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
It could be any number of things or a combination of problems. Trane/GE is the same design and is actually one the best heat pumps on the market. Not only today, but for the past 25 years or so. My suggestion is you call a local Trane dealer and ask them to send out their top guy to thoroughly check and document what is wrong. Get a detailed estimate for repairs. You want to be able to go into court with an evaluation/estimate from someone factory certified on this equipment. Matter of fact, maybe you can get Trane to send out one of their tech reps. You especially want a expert opinion on the indoor airflow and ductwork sizing which critical on a heat pump system.

Old 01-04-03, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Dorseyj:

bigjohn has a good idea to get a Trane authorized dealer or the service rep to check out your furnace.

My suggestion would be to just have him/her diagnose the problem and provide a written estimate without a big story on potential legal proceedings.
I personally would run from a request to provide court evidence as opposed to just providing a service opinion and repair estimate.
There is a difference.

There is the possibility though that the actual repair cost could be a fraction of what court would cost.

Old 01-04-03, 12:38 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Real estate

No real estate agent wants to go to court. The Trane dealer is the best bet , pay for the services and demand reimbursement now, the longer this drags out , the less likely you will get them to assume responsibility. The general rule is , the customer that pays the bill,, gets the WHOLE story....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: