Furnace Ignition Problem

Old 12-29-02, 09:51 AM
smoochie79
Visiting Guest
Unhappy electric furnace won't ignite

[SIZE=1]I have a carrier 500 btu electric ignition furnace and it won't ignite.....There is a red light that blinks ...once slow then twice fast...I don't have the paperwork for the furnace and i was hoping someone out there might know what that code means....I'ts very cold here in michigan now and I am trying to fix....please help...anyone[/SIZE]

Old 12-29-02, 12:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hot Surface Ignitor

Hello Vaughn and Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Based upon the problem description, chances are the glowing hot surface ignitor is defective, not glowing, to weak to provide proper ignition, etc.

The unit could simply be in a lockout mode. Try unplugging it for 5 minutes, then plug it back in and retry.

Electronically operated and controlled appliances often require several tests on several componets to determine the exact cause of a problem.

The procedures and methods vary and at times can become rather complexing. Be aware that only your heating contractor may be able to resolve the problem.

The main computer circuit board controls and regulates functions of the heater. It too may have a defective componet.

Defective Solenoids:
The solenoid is inside the body of the gas valve body. Solenoids also supply voltage to a glow ignitor, {if applicable} gas to the pilot flame, {if applicable} main burner gas and or other parts and componets within the entire electrical loop.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option, if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve.
This is a NON repairable item!

The ideal method for determining if either the solenoid, gas valve, gas valve parts, electronic parts or componets, circuit boards or other componets are defective, is to remove the item or items.

Take the entire assembly and or componets to the local retail appliance parts store or heating appliance dealers retail store and have the entire assembly and or parts inspected and or tested, as needed.

CAUTION:
Be absolutely positive the electrical power is turned OFF before attemping ANY repairs!

Read the questions within this forum and in my Gas Appliances forum on this topic of heaters with ignition problems and the replies offered. Doing so will provide you within additional information offered by our resident heating professionals.

Regards & Good Luck. Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-29-02, 12:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
carrier code

12 is power up with call for heat, fan runs 90 seconds then heat sequence initiates. not familiar with 500 btu unit, probably 50,000. what isthe model #?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: