Steam into the floorboards!

Old 12-29-02, 01:59 PM
MMorrow
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Steam into the floorboards!

Apologies - in advance - for a duplicate posting. I've searched this forum, but honestly: I'm not sure what applies to me or my situation!

I've got a hot water/radiator system in the house I just bought. The house & radiators are probably the same age (50+ years), but the boiler is 1 year old. I just had it serviced and it checks out fine. All of my radiators have steam vents on them and they're working fine too (knock on wood).
I live in PA and we've got some cold temps going on right now - lows around 20 (avg) and highs in the 40s. As long as I remember to check the water level on the boiler (there's no self regulator), the boiler kicks in when needed.
I've got one pipe coming out of the boiler and leading 10 ft away (it's covered in asbestos - so I don't know exact size or type). At the end of the 10 feet, it's got a steam vent like those on my radiators. It's steaming up a storm and all it does is get my floor boards wet to the point of dripping (a brown, shelac-like substance drips to the floor) and mildew. This is right under my dining room and I have fears that my dining room table is going to fall through the rotted wood floor!!! Of course, the floor is replaceable - but I don't want to loose the joists too!
This particular vent is not attached to anything else - it's straight out of the boiler and nothing else branches off. (The dining room has its own radiator off of another line) I'd like to shut this thing off - but don't know HOW or IF I CAN. I've tried to put foil over the steam cap, but that just condenses the steam/water more quickly so it drips to the floor in a more steady stream.
Is this my pressure release valve?
Can I "cap" this end so that NOTHING comes out of it again?
How does one go about that?
Please help.

Many thanks for your thoughts -
Melanie

Old 12-29-02, 03:14 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Hi Melanie:

It sounds like an air vent that's leaking. Can you post some pictures of it?

Old 12-29-02, 03:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You really need that main vent so I advise not to cap it off. The problem is that the manufacturer asks for the vent to be mounted 12" above the main so that the high velocity steam coming down the main does not hammer the vent to death, but most houses don't have 12" to spare so you get what you can. Usually 4" plus the vent. When steam reaches the vent, it should shut off immediately. Get a new Hoffman #75 vent and put it on when the system is turned off. Don't get a smaller vent or a cheaper one. You will pay every bit of $50 for it. Sorry. Keep that system working properly and you will love it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: