Heating options for addition

Old 01-07-03, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heating options for addition

Couple questions.

Recently purchased a house with a 450 sq foot addition. The main portion of the house is heated with forced-air gas heat and a central A/C. The addition has attic space, but it is not accessible once the drywall is installed. (they had paneling and I ripped it all out.)

The previous owners had installed 220v electric baseboard heat along the outside walls. I yanked the units out, and was going to replace them with new units using the existing wiring. I am wondering if I have other options though, being that the framing is all exposed now and I would prefer not to have the issue with keeping furniture and electrical cords away from the baseboard units. Oh, if it helps, the addition is on a slab, house is in the Philly burbs (Willow Grove) and the electric baseboard is/was wired to a separate 60 amp off-peak service.

In addition, there are currently two vents / registers along the floor from the original part of the house into the addition. My guess is that is wasn't sufficient to heat the entire space?

Please help me! Cost estimates with options would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-03, 03:45 PM
addition

this sounds like a good place for a mini split or ptac. a minisplit system would have a wall mounted fan coil assembly with a remote outdoor unit. copper freon lines would go outside to the condenser, as well as an electrical line. a ptac (package terminal a/c) is similar to a motel room unit. both systems come in heat pump applications, if you want to use gas, that is more complicated and more expensive. i am assuming that this is one room, if not, a ducted mini spilit would be necessary. cost is a sore subject, as i am in georgia, and philly is probably higher. i would sell you a ptac out the door, installed yourself, 1.5 ton heat pump for about $1000. also your 60 amp circuit should be enough for whatever application you should decide use.

Old 01-08-03, 06:45 AM
Thanks HVAC4U-

I scheduled an HVAC consultant to come take a look at it to go over my options. $1000 isn't bad -- I was worried that it would be more like 4000!!

There are two attached rooms, so I would think a ducted option would be best.

I would like something inconspicuous, preferably not sticking out the side of the house. (I just finished closing up a space where a wall mounted A/C unit was!!)

Just for arguements sake, if the guys finds that my gas furnace is large enough, could they just increase the air intake and run new ducting into the addition area? How much might that be?

Thanks!

Old 01-08-03, 10:36 AM
new duct runs

if the unit is big enough, just a couple of hundred, as long as they can access the crawlspace to run the duct. how big (capacity) is the unit?

Old 01-08-03, 11:14 AM
Not sure how big the unit is. The original part of the house was only 1350 sq feet before the addition, and it looks to me like the furnace is not the original, so who knows. The HVAC people will let me know on Monday I guess. Thanks for your help - I will post back when I know more. I supposed I could check the side of the unit tonight to see what the rating says. I should look for a number listing BTUs right?

As for the ducting, the wall in the addition are all down to the framing since I removed all of the panelling 2 weeks ago! Should be easy access, including the attic space. There is no crawl space - the addition is on a slab foundation, but the main house has a full basement where the furnace and A/C coil is located.

Old 01-20-03, 05:12 AM
price check - retro of furnace

I posted earlier about heating options for my 450 sq ft addition that previously had electric baseboard. Since I am redoing the whole space, I figured I would try better HVAC options. ..

Spoke to HVAC consultant from a local shop (Kincade in Roslyn PA) and was presented with a few options. They included a fujitsu wall mounted / outside split heat pump, back to electric baseboard, or the option we want to go with --

Tying into the existing gas furnace / central air by running new ducting.

Estimated price to fabricate a new main duct (to increase overall capacity) and run all of the ducting into the addition (3 runs of about 20') plus convert the two existing ducts into cold air returns, full system balancing -- came to between 1500 - 2000 bucks. They are going to come out and measure and get me a precise estimate on Tuesday. I would like to know if this is the right range. We will also have the same shop install a new central humidification unit and upgrade thermostat to a digital / programmable.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-03, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Please post the same project in the original thread.

comgenboy:

Price doesn't seem bad but the one to ask would be another contractor.
You could be selling yourself short by not getting more opinions.

One thing that should have been pointed out is the fact that if your addition looses heat faster than the location of the thermostat you could have fairly large temperature swings in the addition.
A way to compensate for this would be to leave a couple of baseboards in the room with a wall mounted thermostat.

Old 01-20-03, 09:57 AM
Sorry!

Sorry about creating a new thread...

I am glad to find out it is in the right ballpark. I have been very happy with the service they have provided me thus far and definitely want to go with the ducting option.

I will post the actual estimate once I get it in writing.

Old 01-22-03, 10:26 AM
Official price

Got the official proposal to do the ducting work.

Scope:

-Enlarge main supply duct on furnace (includes moving water pipes)
-Run new supply trunk line into addition
-Connect 4 supply registers into addition
-Convert the 2 existing supply register into cold air returns

Total = $1690.

Option:
Add 7-day programmable clock thermostat - + $277.00
Add Aprilaire model 600 bypass humidifier - + $282.00

I thought that the ducting price seemed reasonable, but thought that the thermostat was a bit pricey. They did tell me it is a honeywell better than the ones sold at HD/Lowes and only sold to pros. I am leaning toward going with the ducting and the humidfier, but installing my own Thermostat.

Opinions? Are the prices reasonable?

Edit: The T-stat they are offering is the Honeywell T8600 series. Also, they would do a full system balancing once the sheetrock is up.

Last edited by comgenboy; 01-22-03 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 12:16 PM
my 2 cents

ductwork a little pricey, but includes moving water line and i have not seen the job. get the humidifier, good price, get the tstat at home depot. i am basing this on atlanta pricing without seeing the job, so keep that in mind

Old 01-22-03, 12:38 PM
Thanks HVAC4u. I thought the ductwork seemed pricey too, but they would really have a lot of stuff to move and it is probably a good 15-20 foot main duct that they have to replace as well as the 15' branch duct.

So you're saying that I could get the same quality T-stat as the Chronotherm IV at HD? I see them online for like 150ish. The HVAC guy told me the HD ones were of a lower grade.