Burning used oil in a furnace ?

Old 01-10-03, 08:35 AM
smog
Visiting Guest
Burning used oil in a furnace ?

Well I have a detached Garage heated with an old hot air furnace...

My question is : can I burn a 50-50 mix of used engine oil and heating oil with this burner ?

or better : burning used frier oil ?

I don't want black smoke out of my chimney.....

somebody tried this before ???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-03, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
smog:

Your oil tank cannot be used as a garbage can.

Oil burners could surely be made to run on any liquid that would burn but would require major mods.

Units that run on used motor oil are out there but are made for this fuel.

One reason to not use motor oil is that the oil is highly contaminated with both particulate and fuel.
It will plug up your nozzle as standard filters won't clean the oil properly and there is a serious safety issue with dissolved fuel.
Used oil furnaces have extra heavy combustion chambers to deal with inconsistant fuel BTU content and extra safeties to deal with fuel contamination.

Old 01-10-03, 10:57 AM
smog
Visiting Guest
most of the used oil come from a diesel engine... the other part is hydrolic system oil...

I can run all the oil through a diesel fuel filter.... it should be enough to clean it...

Old 01-10-03, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will not make waste oil work in a standard burner. PERIOD. The vicsosity changes with temperature too much and there are way too many contaminants. You cannot get anything but #2 or lighter oil through a nozzle at 100psi with any regularity. The waste oil burners (I have a Reznor) use a nozzle similar to what you would find in a torpedo style portable heater. They have an air compressor and they do not pressurize the oil at all. They have a metering pump that sends a fixed amount of fuel to the nozzle. They also heat the oil to 150 degrees so the viscosity is more stable. The air goes through the outer part of the nozzle and is spun at the same time. Then through the center of the nozzle the oil is fed through a fairly large orifice. As it comes out, the spinning air gets a hold of it and breaks it up into very tiny droplets and it is sent into the fire. I set up my waste burner with a regular test kit and you can't tell by looking at the fire that is isn't burning heating oil. It is set to 0 smoke, and 11% CO2 and goes through about 600 gallons of oil a year with only annual maintenance. I get about two 3 lb. coffee cans full of amber colored ash out when I brush it down and I am told that this ash is high in havy metals and other toxic stuff so I bag it up and carefully throw it out.

I don't mean to shut down your experiment, but I'd hate to see you ruin a good fuel pump and crap up a whole tank and burner.

Old 01-10-03, 01:23 PM
smog
Visiting Guest
well 10 gals of filtered used oil in 100 of clean #1 heating oil shouldn't hurt anything....

Old 01-10-03, 01:29 PM
Give it a try. I have nothing to lose.

Old 02-20-03, 01:52 PM
smog
Visiting Guest
In a 10% mix, it works....

Next project :
Now, will waste vegetable oil burn if heated to 180F before the burner?

(as in my VW diesel ... ignited by compression in this case)

Old 02-20-03, 03:23 PM
TheZman
Visiting Guest
Smog,

I have seen an old 1952 ad for a Winkler burner and one of the tests they claimed they did was burn motor oil (mixed with 20% fuel oil) to successfully heat an automobile garage.

But this Winkler differed from a regular burner, I believe it had a large orifice on the nozzle (they claimed it was clog free) and operated at lower pressure (not 100 psi).

I personally would not do it because, not only does used motor have nasty heavy metals that will be airborne after burning them, used motor oil also has acid in it (produced by water and impurities like sulfur in the motor fuel and oil). A good reason for regular oil changes by the way.

I am sure the acid will corrode the fuel tank, filter, copper line, pump, nozzle line and nozzle over time.

Good Luck TheZman

Old 02-21-03, 09:30 AM
old oil

If you want you could go back in time. Lots of the old garage had a old oil pot stove. They would start this on #1 oil and let it run till it was hot and had a good flame. Then up on a wall away from the stove they would have a old oil drum with all the old oil in it.A small copper line ran from it to a small hole in the top of the stove.In this line they had a small A valve. As I said when the stove was hot they would start a drip feed from the old oil and shut down the # 1 oil as low as it would go going in you could do this with a time delay relay and valve in the old oil line?????? ED

Old 02-25-03, 05:41 AM
smog
Visiting Guest
Humm, I have one of these pot heater laying around...

it's a 1970 coleman oil heater... I'll try this trick...

Someone told me about using Barbecue bricks to maximise heat and surface contact with used oil...