Please Help with 24v wiring humidifer

Old 01-16-03, 02:43 PM
Amacron
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Please Help with 24v wiring humidifer

Please Help!!

I have searched the threads on this and have found simular circumstances but not exact.

I have installed a honeywell HE360A powered humidifer onto my furnace. Everything is good to go except the wiring for the humidisat. I have two yellow wires and two red wires comming out of the bottom of the humidifer. My furnace is a 80% carrier forced air model #58pav. The circut board on the furnace has a tap for hum and a common. The furnace is 2 years old. I have a digital picture of the circut board I will attach to the end of this.

My question is how do I go about wiring the humidistat to the humidifer and tie it into the furnace circut board.. As of right now I the two yellow wires hooked up the the humidistat. When I plug the humidifer in 120v if the relative humidity is below what the humidistat calles for then the humidifer turns on.

I would like to wire it to the furnace so that when the furnace turns on if the humidistat call for it the humidier turns on. Example furnace is on relative humidity too low humidifier turns on. Furnace not on humidifer not on.

I have had this semi-installed( except for the 24v wiring) for about 3 weeks I have looked online but to no avail.

The Installation kit I purchased with it came with a sail switch but I would rather not use it..if at all possible

In addtion should I mount my humidistat to the furnace which is in the basement or next to the thermostat which is on the main floor. I have a lux 9000 thermostat. My house is a 2 story colonial approx 2136 sq ft.

Thank you so much!!

Old 01-16-03, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Amacron:

There is a lot of info missing here.

You will have to read the installation manual that came with the humidifier.
The color of the wires coming out of the humidifier don't mean anything.

Look at the wiring diagram to determine what they are for.

The "hum" tap and "com" will likely give you 24 volts when the furnace is operating.

Old 01-17-03, 05:28 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Does the humidistat have a probe like it was intended to inserted in the duct or is it a wall mount type? Duct type- mount it on the return air duct. Wall type- mount it next to the thermostat in the house. Turn on the heat. Measure the voltage at HUM & Common with your voltmeter. [HUM and Common may not go hot until the blower starts] If you get 24 volts, connect one of the yellow wires to Common, run a wire from HUM to the humidistat, and another wire from the humidistat to the other yellow wire. Crank up the humidistat and make sure it works. Then, shut down the furnace and check to see that HUM & Common no longer have 24 volts. [they may stay hot until the blower shuts off] The board should be set up so that you'll only energize the humidifier control circuit when the heat and blower are on but check it out to be sure.

Old 01-17-03, 07:41 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Observe...

follow the red and yellow wires and look to see what they are hooked to. Two of them wiil be a switch to open and close to start the humidification, the other two I imagine will energize a water valve and a drum motor or pump, or maybe a safety switch. Need to see the diagram. Not sure how yours works, is it a steam generator or the rotating drum type? When all else fails...... READ THE DIRECTIONS.

Old 01-20-03, 02:17 PM
Amacron
Visiting Guest
Talking Thank you

Thanks for the info bigjohn. I did what you suggested and it worked!

Thanks again Bigjohn for your help it was greatly appreaciated!

Old 01-20-03, 02:45 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
I'm glad you got it going. i guess one of the joys of homeownwership [there aren't many] is the satisfaction of knowing you were able to take care of it yourself. It also gives the wife a feeling of confidence that maybe she married the right guy after all.

Old 01-20-03, 07:50 PM
Amacron
Visiting Guest
Question

And then again, maybe not.... I wired it up tonight. make sure I got this right. Hum tap on furnace to humidistat. humidistat to humidifier. Humidifier to comm on furnace.

That is the way I hooked it up but I keep blowing a 3 amp fuse on the circut board on the furnace. The error message I get on my furnace is "Secondary Voltage fuse is open- Check for short circuit in secondary voltage-24vac wiriing"

Which is were the 3 amp fuse comes in so I know why I am getting the message but I don't know what is blowing it.

I checked the hum and comm and put a voltmeter on both taps at the same time I don't get any volts except that is when the gasvalve opens then I get 24vac. A milisecond after that the 3 amp fuse blows..

So any help would be greatly appreceiated...Again

Old 01-20-03, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
You will have to read the installation manual that came with the humidifier.
The color of the wires coming out of the humidifier don't mean anything.

Look at the wiring diagram to determine what they are for.

Old 01-21-03, 06:59 AM
Amacron
Visiting Guest
The instruction manuel that came with the humidifer dosen't show how to hook it up. the schematics are very general and vague at best.

They Hint in the instructions that the hum taps can be connected in leiu of a sail switch or a current sensing relay but don't tell you how to hook it up. They just say the fan center.??

What I need to know is where the hum tap wire should hook to where the comm wire should hook to and how to tie in the humidistat.

Honeywell has instruction manuels online but I cannot make any sense out of them.(whcich are the same as the ones I have )they tell you that you can hook up through the hum tap but give a schematic of pluging the 120v plug into a ignition box on the furnace. ???

Most of the furnaces of these days must have a hum tap. so honeywell needs to update thier instructions.

I have forword a suggestions to honeywell to get up-to-date...

I don't want this to sound like I am not greatfull for your imput but I have read the directions over and over and I am getting frustrated at this..

Old 01-21-03, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Amacron:

Provide the link to the installatiom manual for yours and we'll look at it.

Old 01-21-03, 08:30 AM
Amacron
Visiting Guest
Here is the link for the installation instructions :

http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/tech...0s/69-1175.pdf

Here is the link for the installation kit I purchased :

http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/tech...0s/69-1572.pdf

Thanks for your help in advance

Old 01-21-03, 11:22 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Before telling you to use the yellow wires, I downloaded 69-1175. It's plain as day on page 2 that the yellow wires are the control circuit wires. I agree that they could have provided an schematic for the humidifier itself. If you disconnect the wires from Hum and Com, the fuse stops blowing? I'm wondering if the current draw of the devices in the humidifier are greater than the 3 amp fuse can handle. If the humidifier has a solenid valve, the inrush current coupled with the current draw of the furnace controls may be too much for the fuse. Since it ran ok when you tried it independent of the furnace board, the humidifier is probably ok. There's more than one way to skin a cat. One way would be to just go ahead and install the sail switch. The humidifer would only be on when the fan is running. What I don't like about this idea, is, if you have cooling, you would have to remember to turn the humidifier off when the a/c is on or install an interlock relay to interrupt the humidifier control circuit whenever the a/c is on. I think it might be better to try installing a relay in the furnace which we could call the humidifier relay. You would need a small relay with a 24 volt magnetic coil and a pair of Normally Open contacts. Wire the relay coil so that when Hum and Com go hot, the relay will be energized. IOW- one side of the coilt Hum and the other to Com. Then, wire the sail switch, the humidistat and the relay contacts in series with the humidifier control wires. IOW- one yellow wire goes to the sail switch, leave the sail switch and go to the relay contacts, leave the relay contacts and go to the humidistat, leave the humidistat and go to the other yellow wire. This way the humidifier only operates when the burners AND the fan are on AND the humidistat is calling for humidity. Let us know how you make out.

Old 01-21-03, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Amacron:

According to the installation instructions, the humidifier comes with it's own power supply which is energized by the 120v plug.

The yellow wires are the wires that connect to the humidistat to turn it on and off.

The two red wires are 24 volts to power up a solid state humidistat and won't get used if you don't have the control shown in figure 8.

If you want to have the unit go on and off with the furnace you can wire the sail switch in series with the humidistat which will be connected to the yellow wires.

If you want to use the hum connection on the furnace you would need to buy an additional relay.

The easiest would be just to forget about the hum connection and use the sail switch.

Clear as mud???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: