Furnace Delayed Ignition

Old 01-17-03, 04:26 PM
hurtz777
Visiting Guest
Big Boom In Furnace!!! How Do You Clean Furnace Burners?

Hi, I would just like to know how to clean the burners in my furnace since my BOOM problem is probably due to delayed ignition and dirty burners. What do I need to clean the burners with? Is the burner assy hard to take out? I have a Magic Chef Natural Gas Furnace(Model #G66-75D2C2.5-5 Serial #A16243HCB). I just looked in the unit and saw 3 18" or so burners that were bolted to the gas line. They each had a flathead screw towards the front of them. Could someone please tell me if these are the only screws it will take to get these burners out on my furnace unit. Should I try calling my gas company and see if they will come out and clean the burners? Please respond ASAP and once again I thank everyone for their info. :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-03, 04:39 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Normally, you shut off the gas, disconnet the gas line, remove all the attaching hardware and remove the gas valve, manifold and burner assembly as one piece. Cleaning is a matter of vacuuming, tapping, probing the openings with something stiff but soft. Clean everything: burners, crossovers, gas orifices, flame rod. If you're unsure, call the gas company or a service company.

Old 01-17-03, 04:54 PM
hurtz777
Visiting Guest
Would the something stiff but soft be a QTip?

Old 01-17-03, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
hurtz777:

To be honest, if your not familiar with this type of equipment you would be advised to call a professional on this.
The consequences could be grave if you made a mistake here.

A dirty burner is only one of a few possible causes of your problem.

Old 01-17-03, 05:03 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
More along the lines of a wire brush or the type of bristle brush you scrub car tires with. You don't want to be using a screwdriver to probe into dirty orifices which might enlargen them.

Old 01-17-03, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean house

If your cleaning, locate the spuds (brass plug that the gas squirts out of) , and see if, when you grasp the log with one hand, and tilt the far end upward, in one motion, and pull the log towards you into the spud ,lift the tail end upward. If it looks lke the screw is holding down on the manifold loosen it. Many will release this way, some even have a small spring on the near end over the spuds.. Others require shutting off the gas **** , and breaking the union, and start taking it all apart. Use an old tooth brush on the logs and vacuum it good. Dont forget the crossovers, do each cell and look for cracks or holes in the heat exchanger. With the logs out, put the thermostat 10F below room temp, set the fan to on, light a cigarette and place it in each cell, control the fan using the service switch on the side of the unit, watch the smoke trail, turn on the service switch, if it starts to blow back, there's a good chance the heat exchanger has a problem, call in a pro to inspect it for cracks or holes. If all proves OK, push a boiler brush up into the top area of the cells to clear the path of any debris. and vac. Make sure the snow doesn't block the exhaust vent on the outside. Sometimes a bird will perch himself on the edge to keep warm, and become overcome and fall in, or in horizontal lines they build a nest in there, ...do a visual with a flashlight. Use the wifes compack mirror and a flash light to look up in the cells. Don't touch the spuds.

Old 02-05-03, 09:19 AM
hurtz777
Visiting Guest
Thank you everyone for your help. I ended up just getting a tootbrush and attaching it to a coat hanger with electrical tape. then I just brushed the burners from front to back until all the lint and stuff was off of them. There was nasty brown looking powder stuff that came off. Then I fired up the heater and there is no more delayed ignition problem or KABOOM!!! It has been working perfect now for 2 weeks so I guess the burners were just dirty and needed my handy cleaning device to clean them.

Old 02-05-03, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
hurtz777:

If you just brushed the burners without removing them you have to be aware that you could have plugged some of the burner openings and/or driven that nasty powder inside the burner, causing future problems.

The burner assembly must be removed and properly cleaned.

Here is a resource to give you some idea what's involved:

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a111199.html

I would recommend you do this if able, or call a pro.