Can natural gas line freeze?

Old 01-18-03, 05:42 AM
nash tn
Visiting Guest
Can natural gas line freeze?

If so, mine is frozen. I have no heat from my heat pump nor my natural gas log fireplace nor my gas water heater. What can I do to unthaw or correct the problem?

Old 01-18-03, 06:49 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Good question. I'm inclined to say no. You may have a malfunctioning gas meter. Do you really mean heat pump? They are usually electrical unless you're talking about a dual fuel system? I suggest you call the gas company.

EDIT: After posting I remembered that I have a chart with the properties of Natural & LP Gas. At atmospheric pressure, Natural Gas boils at -258.7 F. At -20F it has a vapor pressure of 1800 psig. So I would say, under normal circumstances, natural gas won't freeze.

Last edited by bigjohn; 01-18-03 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-18-03, 08:41 AM
nash tn
Visiting Guest
Thanks, bigjohn...

come to find out, all of our neighbors had no gas...there was a major gas line problem affecting several cities here in the Middle TN area. As of now, 9:36AM CST, all the gas supply has been restored and we have HEAT!!!!! It's 4 degrees right now too!

Thanks again for your response.

Old 01-18-03, 10:49 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Yeah, I was watching the news this morning and saw how cold it is in Tenn. I'll bet the gas company phones have been off the hook all day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: