heating

Old 01-21-03, 02:27 PM
muddyrudder
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb heating

hello to all this is my first time here i hope you can answer my question, i have been told that i can purchase a unit that will mount in the exhaust pipe of my oil burner to put a little heat in the basement some type of heat exchanger i guess!!! is there such a thing ? if so what is it called ? thanx for this forum muddyrudder

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Question More info please.

I'm not clear on where this unit would go.

If it is a device that mounts in the chimney or flue pipe, it would likely go against codes.

Give us more details.

Old 01-22-03, 09:57 AM
Around my parts they are called 'Heat Savers' and on the old inefficient boilers, they can make a difference. The safest ones I have seen are made with about 18 black pipe nipples that are about 12" long. There is a box that surrounds the nipples and it has a collar on each end. Usually the box sits right on top of a vertical tube boiler and the smoke pipe attaches to the top of the box and goes on out to the thimble. There is a small blower on one side of the pipe nipple ends and the other ends are where the warm air exits. It is just a heat exchanger and not a very efficient one, but if you have 700+ degrees going out the chimney, it will help. If you do not have at least 400 deg. gross stack, don't put one on. The instructions will tell you that. If you reduce the stack temp below 350-400 you will have condensation running out of the chimney and another problem to solve.

Old 01-22-03, 12:50 PM
oil burner

Tried one like KField spoke about years back not worth a dam. Had to go and take it back out .Forget it. It would like soot up no mater how clean we would set the oil burner.Cant you cut a small register in the duct work for some heat down there in the basement ED

Old 01-22-03, 01:30 PM
my dad used a spring looking thing that surrounded the pipe, giving it more surface area to transfer heat into our basement. had one of those items mentioned above and i remember him taking it out, do not remember why. he was vp of engineering for major steel firm for many years, so i would think he knew what was up.

Old 01-22-03, 01:39 PM
heat

OR how about like the old west. put a T on the flue 4 90d L 's another T and out the flue like a big donut ED

Old 01-22-03, 02:04 PM
Hey instead of the donut idea why don't you just disconnect the pipe from the chimney and put a nylon stocking over it. Oh wait, thats for the dryer.

There isn't much you can do without restricting draft. The one thing I failed to mention about the heat saver. By the time you paid for it out of fuel saved, you will probably need a boiler too. They were almost $200 and possibly would save you only a few dollars per month. Not counting the cost of the electric to power the fan.