cold mornings

Old 01-26-03, 07:33 AM
tyme7
Visiting Guest
Angry cold mornings

I have a gas Bryant furnace with electric ignitors. The problem is we have to reset the furnace 5 to 8 times before the burners will actually kick on. The ignitors light but the burners won't. Then once the burners light, the house will heat to what the thermostat is set on and kick off. Then it doesn't kick back on when its supposed too.Then we have to reset the furnace again to get it to light.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no heat

what do you mean by resetting the unit? powering it down and back up? by electric ignitor, do you mean spark or hot surface? my guess based on limited info would be that yours is a spark ignition? if so, the problem may be that the unit is not sensing the pilot flame, and not opening the valve. i would look at the pilot burner assembly. they are 2 or 3 wire depending on the model. let us know more info.

Old 01-26-03, 08:16 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
If you have spark ignition, the problem is probably a marginal flame switch. If you have a glow bar ignitor, the problem is probably in the flame sensing/proving circuit. In the past 5 to 6 weeks we have covered both types quite a bit and, if you're willing to search the posts, you'll find some helpful information. Let us know if that doesn't help.

Old 01-27-03, 01:27 PM
tyme7
Visiting Guest
Cold Mornings

I am sorry for the limited info..Yes it does have a glow bar ignitor..So I guess my next question would be , How do I know what the flame sensing/proving circuit is and where is it located?
Thanks for you quick response..
Tyme7

Old 01-27-03, 03:10 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
What is the brand and model number of the ignition module? The flame sensing circuit uses a flame rod to send a signal thru the flame to ground. When the module sees that this circuit is established, it will open the gas valve to admit gas to the burners. On some furnaces the flame rod is intregal to the igniter and on others there is a separate flame rod. The usual problems are the flame rod has a residue buildup, it's leaking it's current to ground or the ground connections in the furnace are loose/dirty.