Hard to find floor register/grill

Old 01-27-03, 07:32 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Question Hard to find floor register/grill

I would like to replace an existing cold air return floor register. However, Iíve called around and done a web search and canít find even one in the size I need > floor opening is 30Ē * 8Ē. To complicate matters, Iím hoping to find one thatís a bit more formal/dressy then the one I have now Ė maybe stamped or cast brass or some other finish. Iím also looking for a good source of more standard size decorative/restoration floor registers.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-03, 08:53 AM
exeter_acres
Visiting Guest
I'm going on 6 months looking for the same size!!

Awaiting any ideas as well!

Curtis

Old 01-27-03, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most metal shops should be able to build one for you....

Old 01-27-03, 12:10 PM
jacdan
Visiting Guest
Hi, I have run into this problem in the past in working on older homes and out here in Aurora, Ill. I always go over to Builders Supply, and they help me find what I am looking for in one of their suppliers catalogs. I always have to order them just because of sizes, usually 12x30's, I have had to replace many of the wood egg crate floor grills with metal ones just because the cost of the large egg crates are way to expensive to some people. I have seen some beautiful old wood grills be switched over to plain old 1in.x1in square pattern metal grills just because of the liabilities over the old wood ones falling apart. A good source for wood grills in a size your looking for would be Grate Vents up in Crystal Lake, Ill they have a website www.gratevents.com.
Also, for the metal ornamental grills the Old Home website is good, www.oldhouseweb.com, and I sometimes have to find reproductions over at Period Homes website www.period-homes.com and look under ornamental metalwork. They have plenty of suppliers to choose from, Good luck.

Old 01-27-03, 07:52 PM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Trinitro & Jacdan...

Thanks for the replies!

Before I go custom fabrication I'll definitely try the sources you provided (JacDan). I'm in La Grange - so while I don't know of any "Builder's Supply" stores in my immediate area - Aurora isn't that far away.

Thanks again!

Old 01-27-03, 08:23 PM
jacdan
Visiting Guest
Glad I could help

I just wanted to let you know that Builders Supply has only one store, I think its being run by the fourth generation now so they are pretty old. Its a great supply house but I am sure that as you get into the city their has to be place like it that caters to contractors and maintenance outfits like this one. If you can find out where your maintenance outfits (they handle maintenance repairs for rental apartment, condos, assisted living)go for parts and supplies in your areas I bet you will find a place this by you.

Old 01-28-03, 06:12 PM
look up

hart and cooley online, or ameriflow. ask at local hvac supplier they will probably be glad to help. have used many 30 by 8 in the past

Old 02-02-03, 05:45 AM
Just an idea here. I had a problem with odd sized return grills in my Cape. I was not going for anything fancy but wanted it to look nice with the baseboard molding (of which the grills interupt). I bought return grills from Home Depot that were sized approx. 1in shorter than the opening width. Then built wooden frames that seat against the wall, and flush with the sides of the molding. Then painted the same color as the molding, mounted to the wall, mounted the grill, and caulked the edges to give it a seamless look. Then painted one more time to cover the latex caulk. I think it looks nice. Peace: e3 -spamman