installing blowers in radiator covers

Old 01-28-03, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing blowers in radiator covers

hi

i designed and built radiator covers for many of the radiators I have in my 1921 house. They look fine but I didn't install a back to them and the heat goes to the ceiling. The radiators are steam.

I have been thinking about buying some low profile(kick-plate type) blowers with a possible thermostat attached and building them into the grills of the radiator covers. I would like them to kick on at a certain temp. and blow the hot air from the radiators into the rooms.

What do you think? Good idea or not? If yes, where can I get them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-03, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
robert smith :

I am wondering if you are having a problem with heat distribution, and if you are, was it the covers that caused it?

Normally if the radiators are well placed in the room, the heat is fairly even.

Old 01-28-03, 07:26 PM
Any cover that interferes with the convection currents created by the radiator design will inhibit good heating from that radiator.
I also think an axial blower located at the top of the front cover/cabinet that would discharge horizontally would equal or exceed the distribution that you would have had without the cover. It should be fairly easy to trigger too with a 130 degree klixon hose clamped to a radiator tube and a speed controller or 2 speed switch would be a nice feature. Good luck with your idea. Post a few pictures when it's finished. After the patent is accepted of course.

Old 01-29-03, 05:38 AM
It is not so much a problem with heat distribution but, lately we have been keeping a box fan going in my kid's rooms for white noise so that they would not wake up with noise coming from other parts of the house and I have noticed that if the fan is near the radiator cover grille, the heat is distributed better and moves around quite well as opposed staying up around the ceiling.

Where do I get an axial blower?

Thanks for the feedback so far and I'll keep reading of course!

Old 01-29-03, 05:50 AM
Go to grainger.com and look up part number 1RD31. Thats what I had in mind even if I didn't describe it correctly.

The price of this radiator cover job just went up. I didn't think they were that expensive.

Old 01-29-03, 06:14 AM
thanks for the link but as you said, it is way too expensive. I think the high price has made the decision that we will just use the box fans when possible.

as you guessed, i made the covers for about $15 each, it doesn't make sense to add so much more for a little convenience.

thanks again

Old 01-29-03, 06:40 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Look around Digikey for some of the axial fans there. Most run on DC so you will need a wall wart power supply, but I have used them for exactly this purpose where a single large radiator supplied a very large room. The convection needed a little help to distribute the heat.

Old 01-29-03, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
robert:

You would be able to use a four inch panel fan.
These are just like the small fans that are found in computers but are available in 120 volt.

A large tool supplier I deal with has them on sale all the time and I can get them for twenty bucks.
They have had six inch ones for thirty dollars.

Old 01-29-03, 09:40 AM
greg(and others)

what would the width of the panel fans be and do you have a contact name?

thanks

Old 01-29-03, 11:50 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
eg&g rototron is a big (and expensive) maker. Panasonic used to make some. Got to the Digikey website and search for fans. They are called box, pancake, axial. A square fan a couple inches thick.

Old 01-29-03, 11:59 AM
Just make sure you try it before you buy it... some of them are fairly loud.