Heater on the skids

Old 01-29-03, 10:55 AM
JKennedy
Visiting Guest
Heater on the skids

For the last several months, I have been having intermittent problems with the a/c and heater in my home. Please pardon my lack of technical knowledge....but I'll forge ahead as well as I can... It is a forced air system. Electric A/C and gas heater. We originally noticed the problem when the A/C was on. Even when the A/C wasn't on, you could still hear a motor/blower running...but no air was being pumped out at the vents. The repair folks have told us everything from a faulty thermostat to a faulty circuit board is to blame. We've had 5 tech's out in as many months trying to get to the bottom of this problem. Now that the heat is running....we're having more problems with it. Again you can hear a motor/blower running, yet no hot air is coming out of the vents. I was told by one tech, that since it's a gas heater, the signal is being sent to light the burner...but it's not actually lighting. After three attempts, it will shut itself off and not attempt to light again. The only way to remedy the problem is to reset the unit at the circuit breaker...which we have had to do several times over the last few weeks. Now even when the circuit is reset, the burner won't light. You can hear the unit sounding like it's trying to kick on...but it just doesn't get there. The last repairman said it was the circuit board that is going out and it will cost $500+ to get it fixed. To be quite honest, I have very little faith in any of the service folks that have been out so far, and I don't want to spend that kind of money if that truly isn't the problem. Additionally, is this something that a do-it-yourselfer could replace themselves or test in some way? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I apologize that I do not know the name/make/model etc. of the heater at this point...and I am at the office. But I can get that information if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-03, 12:44 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Yes, the make model, type of ignition system would be helpful. Also, what kid of thermostat do you have? [brand, digital or not?]Did you replace the original thermostsat with one from a home improvement center? If this is a newer furnace, it will have 2 fans. One is a combustion air fan located in the area where the burners are. The other is the fan that circulates air thru the ducts. I'm thinking that the fan you hear running is the combustion air fan. There are plenty of things to check for and we can walk you thru them depending on your ability. Any chance you can post some pictures of the interior ares of the furnace and also scan & post the wiring diagram? We've found that helps a lot. The only comment I have about circuit boards in the process of going out is that they are electronic devices and usually they either work or they don't.