evap questions (its a dry heat - az)

Old 01-31-03, 10:03 AM
aikanae
Visiting Guest
evap questions (its a dry heat - az)

i'm looking to get an evap installed (summers comin' already here) and was reccomended a master cool evap. the 8" pad is running apx $1600 installed and the 12" pad is running $1900 installed.

what i'm wondering is there much difference between the 8" and 12" (i use the evap more than the a/c) and is master cool the way to go (this guy says it is)?

i.e. whatcha all think?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-03, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
????????????????

Lost : do you mean a swamp cooler in" or do you mean the SEER of a unit. Do you now have both ???Cause one will work against the other ED

Old 01-31-03, 01:36 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
I'm just an innocent bystander, clarifying things for Ed;
Back east they call them "swamp" coolers;
In the west, they're called evaporative;

And it sounds like he has both, though it doesn't say whether or not he runs them at the same time...

Old 01-31-03, 02:06 PM
????????????????

With you magister. spent some time there at LUKE field in AZ.
but as we say here NEED more INFO ED

Old 02-01-03, 10:24 PM
aikanae
Visiting Guest
it's a dry heat - az

yes, i have both - but no, i don't run them at the same time. the evap (swamper) is usually less than 1/4 the cost of a/c to run and when i have to run something most of the year, i'd like to keep the bills lower (and it's not as stuffy nor do i need a humidifer then) i usually only turned the a/c on for 2 months/year and the swamper runs for 8 months.

this home is apx 1100 sq' and has a single drop - but currently no evap or swamper installed - just a/c *ugh* most of the time, the outside humidity is under 20%. winter is about over for us - it's getting close to 90F in the day already. i'm wondering if the master cool is THE cooler, like the guy says it is and if there is much difference between the 8" or 12" pad. i think the unit were looking at is 18x18 (size) and 4300 cfm's ? i'm really sketchy on that. i don't have the brochure handy. were looking at putting it on a thermostat and getting a clean machine with it (automaticly dumps - hard water with lots of sediment here)

i know elsewhere evaps don't make a lot of sense, but here they do.

opinions?

Old 02-02-03, 05:01 PM
Cool water coolers

OK:still in the dark here.Evaporative cooler's as we know them come in cfm and hp of the unit.I cant see or find anything thats 8" or 12".I have units that start at 2000 cfm with a 1/3 hp and a output opening of 13 3/4" x 13 3/4".

Now out of the box on this one. I would take a swamp cooler and set it up to go into the ductwork you have for the AC unit. put a slide damper in this duct so you can shut off the swamp cooler from it. I would also put a slide damper in the ductwork right in front of the coil of the AC unit.Now this way when you use the swamp cooler the air will go in the rest of the home and cant blow back into the coil or in the returns of the A/C. Then when you want heat or AC again. pull the damper off the AC coil and put the damper back in the duct to close off just the swamp coolers duct. SO the heat or AC dont go out that way.
You can look up Grainger.com and see what they have in evaporatve cooler. They also have portable ones.

Like I said spent time there at Phoenix and down at Douglas AZ.all we used where the swamp coolers ED

Old 02-08-03, 11:12 AM
aikanae
Visiting Guest
Cool workin' on it

do you know if there's much difference in cooling between an 8" pad or a 12" one?

there's apx $400 difference and i'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. i'm thinking the 8" pad is a 4300cfm and the 12" is 4500cfm.

the ductwork is already in for a single drop in an 1100 sq' home and we are getting thier 'clean machine' (automatically dumps the water) the winter special $ is running out in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-08-03, 12:19 PM
cooler

Im sorry I am lost here. I can not find your so called 8" or 12" PAD
Have a 4000 cfm 2 speed with 1/2 hp next is a 5000 cfm 2 speed with a 3/4 hp on it. There is only about $100.00 diff in the cost. As far as pads on them they would be 31"X28 " ED

Old 02-11-03, 08:42 AM
aikanae
Visiting Guest
mastercool

(grainger.com is down for maintance)

http://www.dtcoolingandheating.com/mastercool2hc.htm
12" pad
http://www.dtcoolingandheating.com/mastercool2.htm
8"pad

other than that, they are the same evap - that's why i was asking. i just did a quick look through google and they don't get very technical on them. the 12" pad say 75% effecent vs the 8" saying 70% efficent - 5%? what does that really mean in temps? a 5 degree drop may pay for it self - a 1 or 2 degree drop wont. i'd be better off buying a mature tree to shade it.

http://www.herculesindustries.com/pr....asp?txtid=218
8" pad

that had more info on the 8" (barely) but not on the 12" and neither in the size we were looking at (4300II or 4300hcII)

Old 02-11-03, 09:30 AM
cooler

I have put in a lot of evap coolers. Here in Missouri we only put them in the kitchens of large restaurant and also in laundrys. Where we move the air in and out fast. This way you feel cool as you work. I looked at your www there . I still cant find what they mean by the 8" or 12" pad . That info I gave you on size was from Grainger. They dont have a 8"or 12" pad. Cant you ask around there where you live and find out just what the other people use or like best? You know when someone said you have to buy it right now for this deal. Id look some other place and get other bids
Just my thinking ED