Negative Draft On The Flue and Cold Air Returns.

Old 02-03-03, 09:39 AM
Preston
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Negative Draft On The Flue and Cold Air Returns.

I am in the process of finishing my basement. The furnace is located in the basement, but it will be separated from the "living area" of the basement with a wall, and a door.

I was planning on adding a cold air return on this wall (the wall seperating the living area from the furnace room) drawing air from the living area of the basement. I was also planning on having some sort of vent (opening) in this wall separating the furnace from the living area.

After reading some of the other threads, I am now concerned that this will cause a "negative draft". I'm not sure exactly what this means and if my HVAC plan for my basement will cause it.

Do I even need a cold air return in the basement, or would a simple opening between the furnace room and the living area allow the furnace it self to pull enough air in? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW here are some dimentions:

- Living area in the basement (15ft x 22ft) and 3 ducts/vents
- Furnace room (7ft x 10ft)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-03, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i would

put a return into the conditioned space, just be sure it is not drawing from the furnace room. also be sure sufficient combustion air is supplied to the furnace.

Old 02-03-03, 08:10 PM
Preston
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply hvac4u. I was planning on having the return in one stud cavity and in the next cavity beside that I was planning on a "transfer" grill (so the furnace room isn't completely sealed off from the rest of the basement). I kind of have a small wall space to work with...and I didn't know if having these so close together would cause a problem....