Gas pilot

Old 02-03-03, 05:37 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Gas pilot

My heating is powered by electricity but I have a gas furnace. Can you tell me if the pilot always goes out when the gas is turned off - or is it only a fluke when it goes out.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-03, 06:49 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Gas pilot

Gosh, I really didn't phrase that question well at all. Let's try again -

If the gas is turned off will the pilot definitely go out or does it stay on all the time - regardless?

Old 02-03-03, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
rlrcstrs:

If the gas is turned off the pilot goes out.

Old 02-03-03, 08:24 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Pilot

Will it automatically come back on when the gas is back on or will I have to light it?

If I have to light it, how do I do that?

Old 02-03-03, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
rlrcstrs:

No, the pilot will have to be relit.

You havn't described your furnace but for some you move the gas valve to pilot, press down and hold button and apply flame to pilot assembly, continue to hold button for about a minute, release button and pilot should remain lit, move gas valve to on position.

Old 02-03-03, 08:58 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Furnace/Pilot

I know the furnace was made by Bryant, but that's all I know.

Is it quite easy and safe to light the pilot myself? I am female and don't know anything about this sort of thing.

Old 02-04-03, 02:47 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Let's talk about this a little. Older furnaces had what are called standing pilots. IOW- liteing the pilot was a manual affair and, once lit, it just continued to burn independent of the on/off cycling of the heat. Newer furnaces, [past 20 years or so] have automatic pilots. Usually, gas is sent to the pliot burner and, simultaneously, a spark is produced at the pilot burner to lite the pilot. So, if you can give us an idea of how old your furnace is, we might be able to figure if you have to relite the pilot or not. If you do have an older furnace that requires manual liteing, perhaps you should have the gas company folks come and show you how to do it.

Old 02-04-03, 02:27 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Gas Pilot

Originally posted by bigjohn
Let's talk about this a little. Older furnaces had what are called standing pilots. IOW- liteing the pilot was a manual affair and, once lit, it just continued to burn independent of the on/off cycling of the heat. Newer furnaces, [past 20 years or so] have automatic pilots. Usually, gas is sent to the pliot burner and, simultaneously, a spark is produced at the pilot burner to lite the pilot. So, if you can give us an idea of how old your furnace is, we might be able to figure if you have to relite the pilot or not. If you do have an older furnace that requires manual liteing, perhaps you should have the gas company folks come and show you how to do it.
It is a Bryant - 1973.

Old 02-04-03, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
rlrcstrs:

rlrcstrs wrote:
"Is it quite easy and safe to light the pilot myself? I am female and don't know anything about this sort of thing."

Whether or not is safe depends on your level of knowlege on a particular subject. Opening a can of beans can be dangerous!

I view your reference to being female as an advantage, because I have found that a female brain can sometimes be far more absorbant than a males.
All you need is to gather information to be able to do it.

Lighting a pilot is something that is reasonable for a homeowner/tennant to be able to do.

Here is a link with pilot lighting instructions (within this there is a safety link).

http://www.hannabery.com/faq19.shtml