hot water

Old 02-04-03, 04:54 PM
Tracy0228
Visiting Guest
hot water

Own a 75 year old house had a plumber come to fix shower/bath upstairs - no water pressure to the hot, cold was ok..... He replaced galvanized pipe with PVC 1/2 for hot and 3/4 for cold but no water pressure to hot..... He teed off an existing hot water line and sent that line upstairs with no increase in water pressure.... He also ran 3/4 line from the bladder tank to the shower with no added pressure..... The house has well and septic...... Any ideas because this guy is nickle and dimeing me and keeps coming up with nothing......

Thank you!!!
Tracy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-03, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Tracy:

It would be interesting to hear what he had to say after he tried something and it didn't work.
Did he try something without success, give you a bill which you paid and then said he'd be back later to try something else?
Sounds like you need a new serviceperson.

If you are on a well there is a possibility that something is plugged up with scale.
If he replaced the line right up to your shower, maybe the shower valves are plugged up.

What type of shower valves do you have?

Try this; Shut off the hot and cold water and then remove the valve stems from the hot and cold water valves at the tub, or handle and three way mechanism from a one handle unit.
While watching, with the shower curtain closed have someone turn on the cold and then hot to see if you get a strong spray from the open valves.
This will either flush out any crud or tell you if there is anything blocking the valves.

Another way is to use a guage to measure pressure drop.

Make note of the system pressure when the pump shuts off and no water is flowing.
Open the cold water at the shower and see what the guage says.
If the guage stays fairly high with the shower running the blockage is likely at the end of the line.
If the pressure drops quite low then the problem is at the pump or bladder tank.

This is an easy thing for a tradesman to diagnose.

Give this a try and let us know.

Old 02-05-03, 04:19 AM
Tracy0228
Visiting Guest

I figured I needed a new service person by the third time he was out here but he had all ready been paid..... Everything he did there was always something else wrong and more money to have it done...

Live & Learn - it is a shame though really makes you doubt professionals..... But from now on your paid when the job is done or see ya ;o)

He initial said the bladder tank needed to be replaced and then only replaced the pressure gauge and put a new line on with clamps that leak a little.....

He put new handles and shower head in bathtub and I saw the water coming out before he put them on and the hot & cold were shooting to the back of the tub, until he put the handles on and then no pressure.....

I am stuck, he ripped me off for the money and now I have to figure this out myself and with your help hopefully get it running correctly......

If you you step by step me how to check the bladder, ie what I have to shut of f if anything etc I would appreciate it......

Thank You
Tracy

Old 02-05-03, 05:47 AM
Tracy0228
Visiting Guest
checked pressure

ok, I did what you said......

The bladder is an Aqua Air MFG AO SMITH

Cold water check - drops 30 then goes up to 49

hot water check - drops to 30 then up to 50 then back to 30 and then I heard a click which I assume is the pump kicking on and it went back up......

I checked and he did go to the hot water tank with the line but not all the way, about 2 feet is copper pipe to the tank......

Are these normal psi ranges or should it be higher for that bladder tank????

Thank You So much - at least I don't feel so helpless now.....

Tracy

Old 02-05-03, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Tracy:

I will do this one step at a time to avoid a flood of info.

When you say handles do you mean valve stem assemblies.
It is possible they got plugged up or are the wrong ones.
It may be hard to tell by water shooting out of the valve openings
if you havn't seen it before.

The first thing you should check is the blader pressure.
You will need a good tire pressure guage and a pump if the pressure is low.

*Unplug or turn off the pressure pump.
*Open a hot and cold tap somewhere and drain all the pressure from the system
*Somewhere on the bladder tank there will be a pressre tap. Use the tire guage to check the pressure. Be carefull when you put the guage on the pressure fitting so it goes on squarely and doesn't leak any pressure.
* For a cut in pressure of 30 psi you should have 28 psi on the presure guage.
* Adjust the pressure by adding air if its much lower than 28 psi.
* Close the valves, turn on the pump, then after the pump cycles off, purge the air from the lines.

If you can do this you will have made the first step.

Old 02-06-03, 03:25 AM
Tracy0228
Visiting Guest

I need to get a pressure guage but I think I can handle your instructions....

I told the plumber he needed to check the screens for blockage because of the pressure problem, duh ;o)

Anyway, he took the handles off completely blew into the screens/part and then turned the water on and I saw it......

Now shooting may not be the right term, it arched/ streamed to the back of the tub...

I will check the pressure and let you know what comes out of it....

Thank You
Tracy