Electric Re-Heat's ?

Old 02-05-03, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Re-Heat's ?

We live in central Wisconsin and are adding a "Great Room" to the end of our existing home. The room (22'x32') will have a southern exposure with vaulted ceiling, several large windows and a ceramic tile floor. The room will be well insulated.

The main source of heat for the room will come from our existing Lennox Pulsar forced air furnace. The distance from the furnace to the new addition will be approximately 30-40 feet. A new 60K BTU gas operated fireplace will also be included to provide additional heat as needed.

I am concerned about a few issues....(probably should be worried about more things and know they too will surface).....

First. Due to the distance from the furnace, will the heat loss be too great to adequately heat the space? The single duct feeding the area will be approx. 8"x14" insulated.

Second. Would installing an electrically operated "re-heat" unit in the forced air duct be recommended? (Of course, the re-heat unit would only run when the furnace runs)

Third. Will a single duct be large enough to provide the needed heat to that area? (I did contact the contractor that furnished the furnace and he stated the furnace IS large enough to provide the needed heat.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-03, 08:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Supplemental heating

What makes this room so difficult to heat are the height of the ceiling, large windows and the ceramic floor. Your heating system maybe large enough to heat this area but there will be days that it won't be able to because of the characteristics mentioned earlier. Some may recommend a ceiling fan, but it has been my experience that fanning cools, regardless in which direction the fan is running. Even if it did move the warm air at the ceiling towards the floor, I doubt it if it would make any difference on that ceramic floor.

Even though the Re-heat system will provide more heat for that room, it would still have a hard time overcoming the characteristics of the room, simply because heat rises and there is considerably more heat loss through glass than a wall, ceiling or floor. I would recommend a supplemental heating system for those very cold days.

An example is http://www.nuheat.com/

This will overcome the characteristics of the room and make those cold days in that room a lot more comfortable. Furthermore, you'll probably won't need it all the time, so it would be less expensive to operate than the Re-heat system.