LP Spoiler Screws

Old 02-01-03, 08:56 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
Propane Flame Color

I have two 13 yr old upflow, high efficiency propane furnaces. One has solid blue flames while the other has some yellow mixed in with the blue. The latter is the downstairs unit which has seen much heavier duty but still relatively light because we keep our house pretty cold.

Should I worry about the yellow? Can I make some adjustments or should I call a pro?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-03, 09:46 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Have the furnace serviced. More than likely the burners just need cleaning.

Old 02-01-03, 02:18 PM
busterm
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I don't mind getting it serviced but diassembly/cleaning/reassembly of the burners seems pretty simple compared to many of the diy'er projects completed here. What am I missing? What are some of the pitfalls in trying to do this myself? I'm sure your advice here will also benefit others who may attempt to do something they shouldn't.

When I arrange for service, what should I have done? For example, should I have the primary & secondary heat exchangers cleaned or wait until there is evidence of fouling? As you know better than I, sometimes preventative maintenance causes more problems than it solves.

Old 02-01-03, 03:17 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
You can probably clean them yourself, there's not much to it. Turn off gas and electric. Remove burners and clean with wire brush. You also may want to check the manifold burner orifices for insect webs and such. They can be unscrewed from the burner manifold for inspection.

Old 02-02-03, 03:55 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
The folks at hvac-talk have me totally gun-shy about working on my gas furnace so I'm not pushing to do anything that could create a safety problem. Please answer these questions to help me decide:

1. Should I even be concerned about some yellow in the burner flame?

2. What else could cause this besides a dirty burner, for example low gas pressure?

3. Are there other reasons to get preventative service, for example heat exchanger inspection/cleaning?

Old 02-05-03, 06:17 PM
busterm
Visiting Guest
LP Spoiler Screws

From previous posts you may know I am trying to understand why the main furner flames in one of my LP furnaces has some yellow and is a little "lazy' compared to my other furnace (same Model with lower BTU output) which has pure blue, high velocity flames. Both units were field converted for use with propane. Part of the conversion calls for "spoiler screws" to be installed in a hole on top of each burner. These #6, 3/4" long screws are perpendicular to the gas flow. The contractor installed the screws on the unit with good flames but did not install them on the unit with bad flames. This is the first time in 13 yrs I have bothered to observe the main burner flames so I don't know if they have always been somewhat yellow and lazy.

I plan to install the spoiler screws when I install a new pilot sensing switch and will let you all know if they make a difference.

=======Moderators Note
These two threads have been merged into one.
Please do not start a new question on this same furnace question. Kindly use the Reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions on this same subject. Doing so allows the threads to remain together which allows everyone reading the question to follow along more esaily.
Thanks,
Web Site Host
Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-06-03 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-06-03, 07:20 AM
FURNACE

You dont say for sure. Have you checked the lp gas W/C pressure at the units when they were fired off.Also is the gas line to this unit the right size? yes you do need the spoiler screws. ED

Old 02-07-03, 10:15 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed. Main burners are firing great now. Burners were pretty rusted after 13 yrs. In addition to cleaning burners I installed spoiler screws. Because I did two things I'm not sure how much each contributed but I suspect burner cleaning was the bigger factor.

What do those spoiler screws do anyway? Create turbulence to get better combustion pattern? Do you think operating 13 yrs without spoiler screws did any damage other than lower efficiency?

Old 02-07-03, 10:32 AM
FURNACE

You answered your own ????????????????????????But dont make the flame to hard when you set it. You want just a very very small tip of yellow on it. Like you see it and then you dont ED