Can I replace this fuel oil furnace?

Old 02-07-03, 10:07 AM
mvberry
Visiting Guest
Can I replace this fuel oil furnace?

We are currently looking at buying a house that has a fuel oil furnace. The house has a full, dry unfinished basement and ducts to every room.There is also a wood burning stove in the basement that is "hooked up" as well. We were exploring the future option of installing an electrical furnace/central air unit.
The wiring in the house should be able to handle this.
My question is would this be a HUGE undertaking better left to the professionals or is this a feasible do it myself.I have access to a licensed electrician, but all other work would be done my myself. I can't seem to find much info online about this process...Any info I can gleam here is better than none.
Thanks!

Old 02-07-03, 10:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
FURNACE

This is a yes and also a no too your ???????.First for the AC are you EPA??? So you can work on it.Do you have a whole sheet metal shop there to make up all the fittings you need to put this new furnace in????Get 3 bids on the job from some hvac shops.
You could do this . Get the bids with you doing the tear out of the old furnace and your friend and you doing the electric. Go over to
www.warmair.net and get a fuel cost comparison for elec.gas, oil.
This will tell you how to go ED

Old 02-07-03, 01:57 PM
mvberry
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much. Your information was very helpful
And incidentally my husband is a Tool and Die maker...so the fittings really wouldn't be that much of a problem
Thanks for the link as well...

Old 02-08-03, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reason for change out?

The reason I ask that question is if your dumping out your oil system and put in all electric to me is a "bad" ideal.

With an all electric system. it's going to be VERY expensive to heat your home with. An neighbor of my parents had all electric and they end up taking it out, and put in gas, cuz it was breaking the bank to heat the house here in Minnesota!

If your putting in a heat pump, then I'd say your ok with that... (Depends on what state your in!) Heat pump gives your more heat for the money vs all electric heat system.

Also, with all electric heat, and/or heat pump, your not going to get the warmth that the oil/wood is going to put out.

Are you in a Nat Gas area that you can get service on Nat gas? Or you have to get LP gas? I'd put in gas before I go all electric, but then check out the link that Ed sent ya to compair fuel cost.

What shape is the wood furance in? If is in good shape, I'd keep that in. That can be your back up source if you have probelm with your main heating system.

My parents used to burn wood for heat in the past. then got a new furance 5 years ago, they were going to take it out, then the dealer says "I'd keep it in, cuz you can have back up heat if something did happen to your furance, and also if your in the urge for the EXTRA Warmth on a very cold day"

So they kept it, and dad is glad he did keep it.. They have not used it.... but he knows he got something for just in case...

Old 02-08-03, 08:30 AM
mvberry
Visiting Guest
Jay,
Thank you for your post. After I posted here yesterday I checked more into KEEPING the oil furnace. We had initially thought it would be cheaper for electric and now having looked at a lot of information on the subject I am inclined to agree with you. We are now exploring the possibility of a new OIL furnace. We will keep the wood burning stove either way.There is no LP where the house is located and frankly, I can't see the payoff in switching from oil to gas anyway.
Thanks for posting your information was very helpful and we think if/when we get this place we will keep things as they are
Thanks again...

Old 02-08-03, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
oil furnace

If you stay with the oil The furnace you have now should work for you. Theres not a whole lot to gain on a new oil furnace from the one you have. A good hvac can set the one you have to about 70% to 80% efficiency with a combustion test kit. They can kick up the pump psi some and cut down on the nozzle size. Do have it looked at every year and new nozzle and oil filter put in. ED

Old 02-08-03, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MV.

Glad to see that you've done some research on about Oil Vs Eletric heat.

I agree with Ed, have someone come out and do a combustion test, and fine tune everything.. When you call a dealer, call someone who IS comfortable with Oil and has the testers.. Maybe best to call your Oil company, they maybe able to these things for you, or refer you to a good company that they wiil know how to do the job.

Also, you are not going to gain a whole lot with a new oil furance vs the old one.. Other than a few extra controls. Do you know off hand how old the furnace is? Brand? Do you have Central Air?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: