Heating a Sunroom in Masachusetts?

Old 02-08-03, 11:29 AM
bksrj60
Visiting Guest
Heating a Sunroom in Masachusetts?

I have 16x16 sunroom. With 5 six foot sliders and 4 windows,
it is mostly glass. I want to add heat for occasional use in the
winter for the weekends and maybe one nite a week.
1 I could a zone to FHW oil furnace.
2 Install propane heat.
3 Electric heat (very expensive)
I do not want to do any of these. If any it would be option 2.
Does any one have any other ideas that is fairly inexpensive.
I saw something on Hydrosil radiators. It sounds like antifreeze
in a heater. The company says it cheaper (????) than electric heat.
Has anyone ever used Hydrosil or any other product that would fit my needs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-03, 08:15 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Hydrosil radiators are electric heat. They are no more or less expensive to run than regular electric baseboards.

If you install the zone of hot water baseboard, you will need to keep the space heated all the time in the winter to keep it from freezing. Or you could install a zone which contains anitfreeze, but that will add complexity to the system, and you still need to find the wall space to install enough lengths of baseboard to make the system work (hard to do with a lot of doors).

I think an good options would be to install a wall-mounted, direct vent gas space heater, something like this product:

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...rsmainpage.htm

I will be converting a porch next year to living space, and have the same choices as you - hot water baseboard running constantly, or gas space heating. Because the porch will have two walls that are all windows and doors, heat loss will be high, and I don't want to heat the space when I don't need to.

Recomendation: Have a heat loss calculation done to see how many BTUs you will need to heat the space. That way, what ever you do, you will know that it will work.

Old 02-10-03, 12:13 PM
bksrj60
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Brewbeer.
I had it a feeling it would be propane but I was hoping something new would pop up. But, I guess electric heat is electric heat.
Thanks again for the website and the recomendation for the heat loss calculation.

Old 02-10-03, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
bksrj60:

Propane likely would be your best bet.

A direct vent heater where the products of combustion are released in the room may not be the best choice for your application.

These heaters release a very large amount of moisture to the space and would create considerable condensation on the windows.
A unit with a chimney or power vent would be a good choice.

Old 02-11-03, 08:40 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
The rinnia heater used as an example above take combustion air form the outside and direct vents the watse exhaust gasses also to the outside.

I agree with Greg. I would not vent any combustion heater into any indoor space inside a house.