rerouting air ducts & vents

Old 02-09-03, 09:24 AM
BJshome
Visiting Guest
Question rerouting air ducts & vents

My air ducts are ran thru my attic, and the vents are on my ceiling. I would like to make better use of my attic space, so I want to reroute my air ducts to the crawl space under my house, and have my vents on the floor. Is that reasonable?

Would I have to reroute my electrical too?

It is A Payne heating and cooling system... the fan coil is model PF1M.

Thankx!
BJ

Old 02-09-03, 10:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
major change

to do this, everything will have to be rerouted, including the lineset. how old is the system?

Old 02-09-03, 01:23 PM
BJshome
Visiting Guest
... less than 3 years old.

Old 02-09-03, 01:27 PM
BJshome
Visiting Guest
... I was thinking about strapping the air ducts to the joists... altho the joists run from the front of the house to the back.. and I need to run the air ducts from side to side. Is there specific instructions somewhere for this? I mean this has to be a common project don't ya think?

Old 02-09-03, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ducwork

How do you mean that? You want to take the whole unit and duct work out of the attic and put it in the crawl way??? Yes you can do that but are you EPA to work on the A/C lines. You have to get a hvac guy to pump it down for you. Is your crawl way insulated also?? Do you have room down there? For the duct going side to side we just strap them to the joist ED

Old 02-09-03, 04:06 PM
BJshome
Visiting Guest
no... the only thing in the attic is the air ducts... the fan coil is in my room closet. I just want to take the existing ducts that are running up thru a hole in the celing, and across the attic and run it down thru the floor under the house and place vents on the floor.

Old 02-10-03, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
attic AC

OK Im for it if-------. The ac unit you have there now, do you know if it can be made into a downflow kind of AC ok ??????????.If so just turn it over and blow down into the duct under the floor.As you said going from side to side of the home. then you would run the other pipes in the joist to the outside walls for the floor registers. You can just cut the return in the wall above the unit. Dont forget you have to have some one that is EPA to work on the ref. lines for you. ED

Old 02-10-03, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ed is right

a lot of those units are multiposition. if yours is not, can you turn the duct down (space wise) and go through the floor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: