Hot Water Baseboard - The Kicker

Old 02-11-03, 06:36 PM
DougM22
Visiting Guest
Hot Water Baseboard - The Kicker

I am redoing my kitchen and I have hot water base board on one wall that I will be replacing with new cabinets. I am removing the hot water baseboard and installing "The Kicker" (an under cabinet heater with a fan). The question/problem I have is that the hot water base board in the zone is 3/4" plumbing. The Kicker is 1/2 plumbing. Do I need to install a bypass pipe around the Kicker to keep the proper water flow rate? I'm afraid that if I just install the Kicker, it will reduce the water flow in the system or cause the water pump in this zone to work too hard. My main question is how important is it to keep the proper water flow rate? I thought of installing a 3/4" bypass with a valve and turn the valve down until I get the proper flow rate. Thanks, Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-03, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to use a 3/4 X 1/2 venturi (monoflo) tee. I prefer to use it on the return pipe from the kick space heater. I think it is easiest to bleed that way. The supply side just gets a regular 3/4/X 3/4 X 1/2 copper tee. You might still want to put a 1/2" full port ball valve in the supply side to regulate the flow in case you get an overheating condition from the kick space heater.

Do not consider routing the flow from the entire loop through the heater. It will probably restrict the flow too much.