Furnace Question

Old 02-15-03, 09:58 AM
tofubo
Visiting Guest
oxidation on humidifier attached to gas furnace

there is oxidation where a copper ground ? that connects to the humidifier (Aprilaire) attached to gas furnace (rheem 90, inst 2000), also, where the humidifier is connected to the flue leaving the furnace, it looks covered in barnacles or such, any assistance is appreciated

Old 02-16-03, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
tofubo:

The corosion and "barnacles" are likely due to excess moisture.

The ground wire must be somewhere in the area of dripping or high humidity.
What is the humidity level in the house?
You should have a digital humidity guage to keep track of your house humidity level without going too high.
If the level in the house were too high problems like you are having could occur.

The barnacles are likely mineral build-up.
I'm not sure what your humidifier looks like but there could be too much airflow through it if it is a bypass type.
There should be a damper of some type to control the airflow through it. Clean up the deposits and cut the airflow in half and see if it helps.

Old 02-16-03, 01:05 PM
tofubo
Visiting Guest
we'll give it a try, i haven't measured the humidity levels as of yet, the ground is attached overhead to a cold water pipe, i couldn't see a place to adjust airflow, but i need to take off the humidifier to clean off the 'grill' where it attaches to the furnace flue

Old 02-16-03, 02:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
more than likely

the cold water pipe is sweating as the line temp falls below the dew point of the space. my 2 cents

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: