Thermostat Question

Old 02-16-03, 04:17 PM
illusions
Visiting Guest
Does it save energy to replace to digital themostat?

Hi, my old thermostat is Honeywell mercury type is it worthwhile to replace it with a non-programable digital type of thermostat?

Also is the accuracy of digital themostat +- 1 F and provide better temperature control?

If yes, please advice brand and model.

Thanks

Last edited by illusions; 02-16-03 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Accuracy

Yes the digital is much more accurate than most analog types.
Honeywell is a great brand.
Avoid LUX, the stat you have now is better ...

Old 02-16-03, 06:44 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Honeywell

You have the T87F, it's got to be the best one ever made, stick with what works...if you are getting large temperature swings it means you need to set the heat anticipator. Thermostats work like a light switch. The light is either on or off, the further or harder you push on the light switch, the lights don't get brighter. Some people think if they put it to 90 it will get warm in the house faster,,,not true. The temp set one degree above will produce heat at fulll bore, till it hits the set point. It's not an accelerator. Sorry if it sounded like I was rambling on,...HVAC techs hit this problem daily...Just a note, the human can detect changes in temp of 3 degrees from room to room. The tollerance is usually 1 to 1.5F on a thermostat.

Old 02-16-03, 07:14 PM
illusions
Visiting Guest
My is not T87F. I am unable to find my model id.

My Honeywell thermostat is a rectangular shape. -- mercury type.

Old 02-16-03, 07:47 PM
H
Honeywell

T874

Old 02-26-03, 09:59 PM
O
Re: Accuracy

Avoid LUX, the stat you have now is better ... [/B][/QUOTE]

54Regcab, why do you say to avoid Lux, I am about to install a Luxlight TX1500 5-1-1. I have previously installed a Lux and reinstalled it at another location with no noticeable concerns. First install was for one heating season in my residence. Has something changed for me to change my mind and return it for a Honeywell? Your opinion is greatfully appreciated. Thanks

OSPhoto

Old 02-27-03, 10:19 AM
lux tstat

i actually like some of the features of the lux light, filter timer, backlight, etc, too bad they are on such a low end unpredictable tstat. many of these are "energy stealing" tstats, and will cause problems with the system. lux is not the brand i would recommend by any means. seen too many of these tstats cause service calls.

Old 02-27-03, 01:03 PM
H
LUX

this is a Home depot T'stat, I don't have alot of experience with them though the ones I have seen work fine, as far as energy robbing, they tend to have less problems running the C wire than depending on DC batteries to supply power. And the batteries are getting expensive now not to mention the material hazzard they've become. I once heard to avoid any Thermostat with the word Magic in it, refering to the Honeywell Magicstat, I have had mine for 10 years now without any problems what-so-ever, and my wife constantly is changing the settings, although I do scold her!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: