Asbestos Pipe Insulation

Old 02-22-03, 08:22 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos Pipe Insulation

Hello there;
I have a house that was built in 1927 and utilized the old corrugated paper Asbestos treated pipe insultion that was common in these older homes.
Several years ago I wrapped the pipes in heavy painter plastic dropcloth. I plastic tied the ends and duck taped the seams.) This was well before the recent poplarity of duct tape! LOL! ) And all was well with the world with no rips or open seams.
Recently, after having some renovations done to my house, I found that some of the pipe covers and underlying insulation had some bad rips and gashes in them. I mean some real chunks out of the insulation! Of course the renovator knows nothing as to how this happened.
I wetrag wiped everything in the basement, mopped with copious amounts of water, and even repainted the floor to attempt to encapsulate any dust I might have missed. Loads of fun!!!!
Here is my question. Does anyone know of a test that I can perform to determine if there is any remaining dust? I am thinking similar to the radon test kits. The local asbestos containment people (?) are charging ridiculous amounts of money, that usually end with their recommending that you need their service. They told my neighbor,and friend, that she needed such a service and wanted $10,000 USD to do it! Way beyond our means!!
Any information appreciated.

Old 02-23-03, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Bob:

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea on how to handle asbestos.

I think that if the pieces were just broken off and fell to the floor you wouldn't have much too worry about.
As long as the resulting dust were not forcefully blown about and you did the clean-up you described, I doubt that there will be any serious residue.

I truly believe that asbestos is a serious health threat under the right circumstances, but I also believe that this threat is somewhat overplayed.

I have removed some small sections of pipe in commercial buildings under the direction of our local health officials and the inspector only required surface testing of the structure if the asbestos was used in large amounts as in complete boiler coverage or ceiling insulation as was sometimes done here, or known to have been airborne.
He would not be concerned if it was just a couple of pipes.

Warning:
This is my personal experience and I would encourage you to seek other advice as we are dealing with a known hazardous material.

Old 02-24-03, 06:00 AM
H
Bob,
I also have asbostos covered pipes. I recently found some material that is perfect for covering them. It is a plaster-coated cloth, like the material used for making plaster casts. I’m not sure if it is true, but I was told that it is listed for such applications. I don’t remember the name of it, and I had to call around to find it. If anyone is interested, I will try to get the name. I found it very easy to use and it looks great too.

Old 02-26-03, 05:48 PM
B
Hi folks!
Thanks for your replies guys. Homer, I would be interested in that product. I still have some of that pipe in hard to reach spots.
I have a friend, who is certified in removing that stuff, come in and help me take it out beyond what I have already had to do. BIG savings!!!!!!!! (Expensive dinner and bar tab but still a big savings.) Messy work when done properly ( and do it properly!!!!!!). We even painted the pipes that it was removed from. I guess you can call me paranoic! LOL!!!
Still please post that covering here for the rest of us.

Old 02-26-03, 07:46 PM
H
The name of the pipe covering is rewettable plaster. It comes in five-foot wide rolls. You cut it into strips, dip it in water, and wrap it around the pipes. I asked for the brand name but it was not available. I just did a quick search for “rewettable plaster” on Yahoo and got several results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: