Double wall pipe

Old 02-25-03, 07:01 PM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
Double wall pipe

Originally posted at fireplace forum.

Is there a big difference between double and triple wall chimney for a wood burning stove? I'm going to install a wood burning stove in the garage. I've got 8' of double wall that was given to me. Triple wall is extremely expensive. Can I get by with double? I've got a small cast iron box stove.
The stove is a new "Vogelzang" cast iron box. The double wall is new in the box made by Supervent and is "UL" and "ULC" certified. The installation is from scratch...no hole in the roof yet. The floor and wall are concrete. The chimney has to go through about 2-3 feet of attic space. I've purchased a ceiling support kit from Lowes that apparently has the pieces to go through ceiling and roof. I don't know of any ordinances or codes that pertain out here in the sticks. Any pointers, hints or tips are appreciated.

Old 02-25-03, 07:52 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
code.

NFPA 31 is the code to go by, they might have a website I'm not sure. Let there be a fire, and see if the insurance will pay a nickel weather you paid your policy or not. You'll find out about code then.... Not picking on you, but permits and code protect you from yourself. It forces the people who are suppose to know to inspect the job. I would check with the town hall inspector and see what HE wants. He can superseded the code adding to it NOT taking away from it...he always has the final say though. That guy in the Rhode Island Fire last week I'll bet has advice about fire code now... they're all playing who shot John.....

Old 02-25-03, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Jayhawk:

If you don't have a local municipal code then a State code will likely will apply.

Whoever has jurisdiction will have plenty of DIY information on requirements for wood burning appliances.

In my area you can only pass through a ceiling, attic and roof with a metal insulated chimney.
Double and triple wall stovepipe only allow slightly less clearance from combustibles. That is, you can run the pipe closer to the wall.
Here it's 18" clearance for single wall and 12" for double wall.

Old 02-26-03, 10:28 AM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I've got a buddy checking on state code for chimneys...but he believes the wordage used in the state code is "insulated." I may have stated "pipe" incorrectly. It is actually Double Wall Chimney. The real question I have is the difference between double and triple wall chimney. Is there a tangible difference in the amount of heat radiated off the chimney when going through the ceiling, attic and roof.

Old 02-26-03, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Jayhawk:

Now I understand.
I'm not familiar with triple wall.
The mfr's specs would tell you what the significance is.
It could be that the increased wall would give you less clearance restrictions or better performance when run on an outside wall.

Compare the specs but make sure your local codes allow what the mfr claims.

Old 02-27-03, 11:09 AM
FLUE PIPE

When you say double wall pipe they gave you . You dont mean the double wall type "B" that is for gas only????We would use that triple wall for a wood stove. But only for going in the ceiling, attic and out the roof. This would hang down say about a foot from the ceiling and with nothing around it we would use just single wall smoke pipe to the bottom of the triple wall from the stove if it was 18" away from all walls. Just be sure and check the codes there ED

Old 02-27-03, 12:54 PM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
Its Type HT insulated chimney...double walled. When I went to Lowes I saw triple wall...was just wondering if it was worth the expense or would my double wall suffice.

Old 02-27-03, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
most important

is clearance to combustibles when using prescibed fuel (wood,etc) a furnace b vent would not have the rated clearance if used on a fireplace, as the initial input temp would be greater

Old 02-28-03, 08:04 AM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
hvac4u...I don't understand your post. What is B vent? The entire installation is a small free standing wood burning stove, black stove pipe to the ceiling, ceiling and roof kit purchased from lowes using my double wall chimney (the kit doesn't include chimney pipe). The stove would stand on a concrete floor in front of a concrete wall. The concern is the sheetrock ceiling, attic space with insulation, joists and roof.

Old 03-02-03, 05:38 AM
H
A detailed diagram.........

In order to get several diagrams of properly constructed pipe look at the following book;
The Visual Handbook of Building and Remodeling, by Charlie Wing, this book is a set of standards used by the industry similar to Graphics Standards (another book) to see Wing's book, check with your local library or do a search on the internet. In his book I looked under chimney and there are several pages on different stove connection layouts, through living spaces, and attics .

Old 03-02-03, 08:26 AM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
Headed to the library...Thanks.

Old 03-02-03, 08:42 AM
H
The book.....

If your persistant..you will get the book! The libraries have the ability to do a search and they lend the book to each other, you may have to wait till it gets mailed to your local library. Your taxes at work...

Old 03-02-03, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
jayhawk

did not mean to confuse you, the b vent i mentioned is rated for gas only, look it up as 01453 suggested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: