Cold Air blowing while Furnace is on

Old 02-26-03, 07:45 AM
teddyspeedboat
Visiting Guest
Cold Air blowing while Furnace is on

We have a 2 1/2 year old house that we had built. Gas furnace seems to keep the house at the right temperature with one problem. Our master bath has a closet off of it that is always cold (bathroom warm, closet cold). After some investigation, I've found that the heating vent in the floor of the bathroom is blowing out very hot air (94 degrees) when the furnace is running, but the vent in the closet is blowing out cold air (66 degrees). These were the temps when we had the thermostat on 73 degrees. Is it possible that the heating subcontractor has mistakingly run a cold-air return to the vent in the closet, thereby blowing the cold air out when the heat is on? I'd love to get your input before I have the contractor back to our house.

Thanks,
Fred

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-03, 10:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
duct work

You said could it be the cold air blowing out.If this run was a cold air run it would be sucking in.This run to the closet. could the pipe
be outside in a overhang or something. Like that and not have any insulation around it. If you have a door on this closet does the air get warm with the door open? Could be you have to cut some off the door bottom. call the hvac back and have them look at it ok ED

Old 02-26-03, 10:54 AM
teddyspeedboat
Visiting Guest
Ed - just a follow up to your post. The closet is above the garage and I think the pipe might be in the outside wall, very possibly non-insulated. The closet NEVER has warm air in it, door open or shut. I door does have at least an inch and a half gap at the bottom to let air flow under it when closed. The problem is definitely with the cold air blowing out of the vent - don't think it relates to the door at all.

Thanks for the help!
Fred

Old 02-26-03, 10:59 AM
heat

Is there heat in the garge all of the time?? If you get lots of air out of the pipe but it is cold Ill bet that you have to get some insulation around that run ED

Old 02-26-03, 11:05 AM
teddyspeedboat
Visiting Guest
The garage is not heated but is fairly well insulated and stays above 55 degrees in the winter. The air that blows out of the vent does blow pretty strong but it is cold. If they need to reinsulate around it, won't that be quite a job to get to the pipe since its not in our attic? Going through the inside our outside wall sounds like quite a mess!

Old 02-26-03, 11:22 AM
Heat pipe

You got to do what you got do.I'd get it insulated.Think about it .
It could sweat in the summer with the AC on if its this bad now in the winter. Later on it could make a mess for you in the wall.you could just cut out the dry wall where the pipe is and get to it ED

Old 02-26-03, 11:34 AM
teddyspeedboat
Visiting Guest
Good point about the AC. I'll definitely get it taken care of, just have to fight with the builder and sub to see who is going to fix it for me!

Take care,
Fred