Electric -VS- Oil Hot Water Heater

Old 02-27-03, 04:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric -VS- Oil Hot Water Heater

My mother, who lives in the NE heats with an oil burner. Connected to it is an oil fed hot water heater. Right now, she's having a problem keeping the water heater primed, and my brother has to prime the pump every other day or so. There have been a few techs who have come out, but none have been able to find the source of the leak.

I say that she should just change over to an electric water heater. Is there a great difference in efficiency and/or price of heating water with electricity? She seems to think that the bill would be through the roof monetarily. Thank you for your help.

Maitai

Old 02-27-03, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
water heater

more info ----- prime the pump for the water heater?????????

look at www.warmair.net for fuel cost and see what is best there for your mom ED

Old 02-27-03, 04:49 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, Prime!! :)

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's right. The water heater is an oil fired unit in series with the main furnace, which provides the heat for the house. The oil comes from the tank into the furnace (radiator steam heat), then goes to our oil-fired water heater. We are priming the pump about every other day. Thanks for the link.

Maitai

Old 02-28-03, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hot water

Im still lost info info.Is it the water pump or is it the oil pump on the oil burners you have to prime? Do you have two oil burners?
Ifso is it the same oil pump you have to prime all the time? Has anyone did anything at all to this oil line??????????Or put in a new oil filter???????Could this be where the pump is getting the air? Is this an inside tank?? How old is this set up and when did It start this have to be primed ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: