hood over kitchen island

Old 02-27-03, 08:03 PM
akharnum
Visiting Guest
Question hood over kitchen island

I'm thinking about putting a stainless steel hood above the saute unit on the kitchen island. The ceilings are about 10-15 ft. high, at an angle. Are there any complications that I might want to watch out for? Is it an easy project? Let me know, if you can. Thanks!!!!!!

Yak Bak,

Akharnum

Old 02-27-03, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
akharnum;

I'm not really sure what you intend the finished product to look like.

Are you wanting the hood to be suspended above the cook unit by stainless duct running straight up and then seamlessly through the ceiling?

How about a duct surrounded by a wooden box and the fan unit attached to the box?

Or maybe a bare duct attached to a hood with the fan unit on the outside?

Or maybe this, the hood attached to a duct that then runs horizontal through a sidewall?

The difficulty in doing any of these with common homeowner tools and skill may be fairly high, although not impossible.

Old 02-28-03, 12:43 AM
akharnum
Visiting Guest
Talking hood fans

Thanks for responding GregH!! Actually i hadn't thought about hanging it any other way, but my intentions are to suspend it over the saute unit with the stainless steel in view all the way up to the ceiling (hopefully seamlessly). Do you think if I have the hood designed here in town (it's much more expensive to have things sent up here, than made by a local Hood guy) that I have the option of different width's, or are there only a few different designs I can chose from? I'm just thinking that I want it to be visible, but not something that keeps me walled off from whatever it is that's going on in the living room/dining room. Thanks for your time!

Akharnum

Old 02-28-03, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
akharnum:

I have an idea what you are talking about.
Sounds like something you would see in a "Beautifull Kitchen" magazine.

The more think about it the more I realize how technically challenging it would be.
Talk to your local fabricator about building the hood and making you a seamless stainless pipe, 15 feet long and installing it with a roof mounted fan, with no visible support.
The fact that you are considering to DIY you likely would not want to pay what this would cost.

Old 02-28-03, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vent hood

Im sure you have some tin benders up there that can make what you want. Any HVAC shop would have the tools.We make a lot of hoods like this out of copper and stainless.. Think about the bottom of it . Have that cover the work space you want.Also on this bottom you want about 1" in and 1/2" up with a hem edge all around it. This will give you what is called a grease trap that you can clean out once in a while. Now up about 6" square with the world. Then taper in as you go up to the vent fan in the ceiling.You can put this together with whats called a standing seam at the corners and in the middle if you want for looks.As far north as you are i would think about the vent less hood fan set ups that we use all of the time here now.That way you just filter the air and keep this warm air in the home. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: