Heating &cooling

Old 02-28-03, 07:09 PM
randy huelsebus
Visiting Guest
Heating &cooling

I AM ADDING A ROOM ADDITION TO MY HOME.IT IS ONE BIG OPEN
ROOM,SLIGHT VAULTED CEILING,24 FOOT SQUARE.I AM LOOKING
FOR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO HEAT AND COOL IT. I AM CURRENTLY CONSIDERING AN IN WALL UNIT OR A MINI SPLIT SYSTEM.WHICH WOULD BE BETTER,OR IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO DO IT. I WANT SOMETHING QUIET.THIS ROOM HAS R30 FLOOR AND CEILING & R19 WALLS.ALL 7 WINDOWS LOW E & ARGON
34 X54. ONE EACH IN NORTH & SOUTH WALLS & 5 IN WEST WALL.
THANKS

Old 03-01-03, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Question More info please.

randy:

Mini-split and in wall are both good options.

A usefull piece of info that is missing is where you live. This would make a big difference in the equipment you would need, also how is your house heated.

If you look at the B-4 posting at the top of this forum, what we need to know is there.

Old 03-01-03, 07:48 PM
randy huelsebus
Visiting Guest
greg
my home is in st. louis missouri. it is a 1 1/2 story frame home with a comfortmaker forced air gas heat.this system is not large
enough for the additional room.i want a seperate system.
thanks
p.s. i dont want a heat pump.

Old 03-02-03, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
randy:
I'm not familiar with the temperature extremes in your area.
What you will first have to do is have a heat loss/ gain calculation done to first see what range of equipment you will need.
You can either do this yourself or get a contractor to offer a proposal and quotation on the equipment.

My experience has been that the mini splits are quiter but more costly than the wall units.
Another option is to go electric baseboard for the heat and a wall mounted A/C.

DIY sizing program for purchase:

http://www.hvaccomputer.com/main.asp

Old 03-02-03, 06:29 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Heat pump...

Don't count out the heat pump just yet. There is a new boy on the block. The ductless heat pump with a gas heater. When temperatures get too low, the gas heat portion kicks in to add the required heat ....all done outside. I would try stick with Japaneese or Korean makes, as these seem to have the quietest units sorry to say!!!! There fan technology just seems more advanced. The Japaneese is a little more expensive.. Koreans are about the same only lower labor rates than Japan.
The ductless is the only way to go I think. I'd use one myself if I needed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: