fan/heat sequencers

Old 02-28-03, 11:34 PM
coldman
Visiting Guest
fan/heat sequencers

WOW after 2 days of calling around and surfing, I find this site.

I have a 15 year old Grimsby electric furnace, M# GSE 25,
S#D6 10. They have convientally, gone out of business. I am getting the run around on replacement sequencers. I have #'s but no mfgr. I have found one of them but the second dosen't show up. I cannot get any one to tell me if in fact they will do. It dosen't make sence since they are all timed so all 25kw dont come up at once. I'm not sure which one is gone but I can replace all 4 myself for less than the cost of the service guy walking in the door. I even asked one place what they would do if their service guy came in and said i need this part and they couldn't ref. it what would you do. Like I mean if you have a 25 year old gas furnace and the pilot quits you don't have to buy a new furnace just because the mfgr has gone. I have worked in the maintenance field long enough to know that numbers and design change but in the end the equipment worked.

I have found the 12s22 but not the 12s24. The manual actually shows 15s22 and 15s24. There are 2 of each paired by same ##. Can anyone out there help me out. I know the mfgr of the 12s22 is Rodgers-white.

Thankyou - Andrew
I also have Honeywell #'s R8330A and R8330D but since they are not the ones in the furnace and the basic wiring picture in my manual dosent show anything I understand.

Old 03-01-03, 06:00 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
The vast majority of heating sequencers operate in the same manner with the only difference being in design (i.e. Honeywell might be in a small boxlike case, Klixon types being round and mounted on a plate) The key is to get a sequencer that matches timings, amount of current they can handle (amp/load rating per switch) and one that will fit into the space available.

Have you tried going to www.heatcoolparts.com to see if any of the parts shown are similar to yours? Your description of the sequencers sounds as if you should be able to use a Mars Klixon #33233 or a White-Rodgers 24A34-6, which are four switch sequencers with 2 timings such as yours. Both components should come with clear cut wiring diagrams to assist you in the replacement.

Hope this info helps...do let us know what happens.

Old 03-01-03, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
coldman:

Any sequencer will work as long as it has the same switch configuration and the timing of each sequencer is different.
A knowlegable supplier should be able to help you there.

Here is a link with a mention of sequencers:

http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/electricfurnace.html

Old 03-01-03, 06:14 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
The vast majority of heating sequencers operate in the same manner with the only difference being in design (i.e. Honeywell might be in a small boxlike case, Klixon types being round and mounted on a plate) The key is to get a sequencer that matches timings, amount of current they can handle (amp/load rating per switch) and one that will fit into the space available.

Have you tried going to www.heatcoolparts.com to see if any of the parts shown are similar to yours? Your description of the sequencers sounds as if you should be able to use a Mars Klixon #33233 or a White-Rodgers 24A34-6, which are four switch sequencers with 2 timings such as yours. Both components should come with clear cut wiring diagrams to assist you in the replacement.

Hope this info helps...do let us know what happens.

Old 03-01-03, 05:14 PM
coldman
Visiting Guest
thanks for getting back. Sorry for the delay, but my main computer went south, so I have been busy with it, as well as reinstalling the old sequencers so at least the fan is back at 2 speed as well the elements only commming on to defrost the heatpump. It has warm enough to keep things up, and if it gets bad I have atleast 5 kw on stanby, instead of all the time. I have found that they may have been built by THERMODISK though.

I will get back with more tomrrow when my head is clear, and I'm not exhausted.

Andrew

Old 03-03-03, 10:53 AM
coldman
Visiting Guest
14S22

Well you guys aren't going to believe this but after I reinstalled the 2 sequencers I had out, everything started working properly; mabe even better. I now have 4 elements kicking in and staging properly. One seemed slow so I gave it a couple of swats and then it engaged. Since it is the last one to come on, it may only be a coinsidence, so I will monitor it. I also have 3 running during my heatpump defrost, and they appear to be staging properly. I have even managed to locate what I think is the one terminal that would give me a full 25 kw. It is on the first 12S22 of the first pair, which would give me the inital 10 kw. that I recall being told would come on first. I burned out one element a few years ago. Now the only thing I need to get info on is how long the safety limits should stay on. Currently each 5 kw element only stays on for about 30 sec. at the most.

I SCREWED UP ON MY ##'s 1t should be 14S22 NOT 12S24 goes to show you how confused I was, w/ the base ##'s and the actual P#'s DUH

Thanks again for the interest, and I am still going to persue the 14S22 sequencer. The other ##'s on it are 309148 & L8802 & H24V

BTW when I took my computer in to my friends to look at it promptly started to work too. Go figure.

After phoning several heating repair places, it seems they all threw out all their Grimsby manuals when, Grimsby went out of business.

I have finally located the elusive 14S22 sequencer, but there are 3 different types with regard to on off times. This also goes for the 12S22. The other ##"s on the top apparently mean nothing to sequencer mfgr., even though these ##'s are different by one on the last diget. eg. 4 & 5 It sounds like that I may have to choose these settings myself. Any thoughts on this??

Andrew

Last edited by coldman; 03-03-03 at 04:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: