Venting a basement

Old 03-02-03, 09:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Venting a basement

Hi,

We bought a relatively small house, about 1,000 sq. ft. on the main floor (1 story). We have a full basement seperated into 4 rooms, 1- laundry/furnace, 2-workshop, 3 & 4, both about 250 sq. ft. rooms that we want to carpet & make into more liveable areas. One of the 2 larger rooms is not vented at all, while the other one has 1 single vent, although it's still cooler that we would wish. We have forced (gas) heat.

Sometime in the next several months, we want to replace the furnace (old & in-efficient) with something new, while at the same time adding a central air unit. In the room that is vented with a single vent, about 5' of the 12' width of the ceiling drops about 10" to handle the duct work. I imagine that some of this duct is for forced air in the upstairs of the house. This drop limits ceiling height for 40% of the that room, although we can certainly live with that, in the ideal world it would be nice to have the full ceiling (this dropped section runs across the joists). Several questions:

1. Can the duct work be re-done to limit the effect of ceiling loss in that room? If it's costly to do so, we'll live with it.

2. In the other larger room with no forced air, is there a way to limit the loss of ceiling space? Since this would have to be done new, would it be more costly to do something that would be less intrusive?

3. The room w/ one vent needs at least another vent and the vent-less room needs at least a couple. In most of the rooms on our main floor, we have a return air vent. Do these need to be added to the basement?

4. Since we are adding to the heating/cooling area of the house, do we need to figure in a larger heater/AC unit? Is there a 'rule of thumb' for size of units for specific square footage?

I realize I'll need a pro at some point, but as much as I can understand beforehand would be useful.

Thanks!

Bob

Old 03-02-03, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
now is the time

to get a pro in there to give it a look. it is hard for us to tell you what you can do with out seeing it. plumbing pipes, joists, headers, etc have to be taken into consideration at this point. only a trained eye on site can accurately assess this. estimates are free, get several quotes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: