Internal Venting of Electric Dryer

Old 03-02-03, 07:50 PM
Eugene Rosen
Visiting Guest
Internal Venting of Electric Dryer

I have a Maytag dryer. I'm uncertain about venting outside of the basement and going through brick in an old building. I have used an old internal venting kit e.g. a hose run to a little plastic box that should be filled with some water. Is there a better way to vent internally since this was a very old purchase?
Secondly, drilling through a brick wall in an old four story building makes me somewhat nervous as to the integrity of the structure. I don't mean that the building would fall down, but could a series of small brick and mortal failure begin a process where an area of brick would begin to degrage?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gene Rosen
erosen@earthlink.net

Old 03-03-03, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Gene:

It is never a good idea to vent a drier indoors.
The moisture could damage your house and the filters never completly remove the lint.

There would be no problem making a hole in the brick wall.
The least intrusive way is to hire someone to core drill the hole and install a metal sleeve.

Old 03-03-03, 06:51 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will enjoy being in your basement a whole lot more once the dryer vent goes to the outside.

You said it's a brick wall? Maybe you can just chip out the bricks of interest. If not, a 1/2" drill with a masonary bit, and a hammer drill for when you hit rocks is all you'd need if you DIY.

My shoulder didn't feel all that good after going through a double block wall. . . . but it's fine now.

Old 03-03-03, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Question ???

Gene:

What kind of bricks are they and what are the construction details of the wall?

Old 03-03-03, 10:13 AM
Eugene Rosen
Visiting Guest
Venting dryer through brick wall

I can't describe the brick with particular detail. The building was constructed in 1865 and is a four story brownstone. I will ask one of the tenants who can describe the brick and construction with accurate detail. Thank you all for your speedy and helpful reply. One more question....Would it be necessary to line the opening with mortar or just insert the metal sleeve without any other adjustments?

thanks again.

Old 03-03-03, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Gene:

The use of mortar is always a good idea.
A lot will depend on the size and depth of the hole. If you wind up with a 4" hole that is 24" deep you will have touble getting the mortar into the middle.
I would still pack it in though from both ends to seal it up.
This is why I like having a hole core drilled. The hole is pefectly concentric and the right sized sleeve will pass right through with minimun patching.
You should sleeve a 6" diameter hole so you can pass a 4" drier vent, if that's the size you have, and then pack it with fibreglass.

Old 03-03-03, 10:41 AM
Eugene Rosen
Visiting Guest
Excellent help

Thanks so much for your excellent help. I will print out your guidelines. A very competent electrical engineer who is also a skilled doityourself3er (and thankfully a friend of mine) very demanding/perfectionistic will have these in his hand. The gentleman has a 1/2 in hammer drill and masonry bits.

Thanks

gene

Old 03-03-03, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hole IN the wall

You asked about the load you would have on this hole in the brick. If you look at the brick where the hole will be and think about a stair steps of brick going up on each side of the hole over the hole. Now where they meet say about the 3d or 4 th coarse up from the hole. Thats the end of the load on the hole dont make a darn if its just one story or ten. ED

Old 03-03-03, 03:03 PM
Wiggllit
Visiting Guest
Is there any way you could take a window out and replace it with a board with your four inch hole? Use aluminum duct and metal tape it.

Old 03-03-03, 04:09 PM
Eugene Rosen
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. I wish I could vent the dryer through a window, but the only windows are far away in the basement where the furnaces are. I think moving the washer and dryer there with the necessity of putting in a drain etc. might be quite a job.

gene

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: