Just wanting to check on contractor

Old 03-03-03, 10:51 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just wanting to check on contractor

Don't think you need too many details - putting in split system in 1940 investment house, roughly 1700sf, putting downflow furnace in one of bedroom closets. I am not sure the btu's, but he said it was going to be a forced vent system.

2 q's: 1) the flue vent pipe will have to cross a hall way to get to old fireplace (the fire box is sheetrocked in) which is being used as vent for hot water heater and old floor furnace (floor furnace will be removed of course. He had proposed to use a 'T' and share the entry hole from the water heater to the fireplace flu with the new system. common sense tells me this could cause a vent problem with water heater, what do you guys think? By the way, the old fireplace is drafting nicely.

2) he said I may have to drop the ceiling in the hall a few inches because of the slope needed for the vent pipe. is he being lazy and trying ot avoid making a new hole in masonry to raise the entry height into old flu? The present hole in the old fireplace is at about 8'6'' and adjacent to hallway. the span from the spot for new furnace to the fireplace is 9 feet. is there a rule of thumb for slope of vent stack on forced vent system. I would have thought a forced vent would be used when you can't slope vent......

Hope that's clear - would very much appreciate an opinion. Nick

Old 03-04-03, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Nick:

Passing through walls and a gas appliance flue in a fireplace chimney are not allowed here.

He would have to take out a permit to do this work, so a quick call to the inspecton department will clear it up for you.

Let us know what happens.

Old 03-04-03, 04:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nick,

if venting into a masonary chimney, check the furnace venting table in the install book, the chimney may very well have to be lined. is venting straight up through the roof not an option? in georgia you can run the vent as you describe through the wall, but proper clearances must be in place. generally 6 inches to combustibles for single wall, and 1 inch for double wall (b vent). the tee thing is proper, from what you describe, and a new hole in masonary up high to reduce loss of headroom may work, but first look at the venting table. you may have to tee the 2 together then into a liner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: