warm air duct

Old 03-10-03, 06:05 AM
alorenzo
Visiting Guest
warm air duct

Yesterday, I removed a warm air duct that was added some years ago to the warm air plenum directly above my forced air furnace. I patched up the hole with a piece of sheet metal, duct tape, and then several sheet metal screws. My question is: Did I do this right? Someone told me I should have used some other kind of tape, instead of duct tape (some shiny silver tape - I forget what it's called). Is this true or is duct tape fine? Also, when the heat is turned up the sheet metal feels hotter than the rest of the ducts. Is this something I should worry about or fix?

Old 03-10-03, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
alorenzo:

I personally like duct tape for everyting but ducts, because in time it will dry out and flake off, especially when used in a supply air plenum.
The silver aluminum tape is better but I wouldn't loose any sleep over the tape you used.

The plenum should be hot. The normal maximum temperature of the plenum directly above the furnace should be about 160 deg F, the limit should kick in if it gets to 180 deg F.

Make sure your filters are clean and the furnace has been serviced as it will run a little warmer than usual if things are dirty.

Old 03-10-03, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
got air leaks?

if not, good job. agree duct tape is great stuff when not used on duct! as greg says it dries out. seen nothing but threads of cloth left! use silver tape if you can get some

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: