adding HW baseboard heat upstairs

Old 03-11-03, 08:42 PM
dewey724
Visiting Guest
adding HW baseboard heat upstairs

I'm going to add Hot Water Baseboard heat on the 2nd floor (upstairs)of my Dad's house. The house already has heat on the 1st floor. Do I have to add anything to the system to give it enough pressure to make it upstairs? Can I just add it to the Loop? And, how hard is it to make each floor a separate controlled Zone?

Thanks, Dewey

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-03, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler

When you say add water to the boiler yes. Its like this when you are all done with the pipe work. Lets say you open that top bleeder on the 2nd floor. Have some one turn the water on to the boiler. When you get water out of the bleeder valve there, shut off the water. Now what your PSI gauge has on the boiler is the new psi that you have to have in the boiler all the time.
As far as zone controls ,lots of diff ways to do this by pumps and valves. Look at http://heatinghelp.com Thats where the wet heads are. ED

Old 03-12-03, 10:48 AM
We are assuming of course that you have a hot water heating system and not steam???

Old 03-12-03, 07:11 PM
dewey724
Visiting Guest
Yes, the house has Hot Water Heat not steam.
I just need to tap in and bring it upstairs. I thought I was going to need a circulation pump or something like that.

Old 03-12-03, 07:26 PM
There are two ways to add a zone.....use the existing circulator pump and add separate zone valves,or add a second pump for the new zone......OR....operate both upstairs and downstairs as one zone