Furnace not starting.

Old 03-13-03, 11:18 AM
Judge_Holden
Visiting Guest
Furnace not starting.

This past summer had a Janitrol Heating and AC unit installed, which ran fine up until several weeks ago when one cold evening noticed that the heat had not kicked on. I turned the thermostat all the way up and the furnace did not start, I turned the Furnace off then on using the thermostat and the furnace started, this continued through out the evening so I called the contractor that installed the system. He came out the next day and replaced the thermostat, and for the next two weeks everything worked fine. Last night it started not working again, contractor came to the home looked over the system and said that the filters that I am using are collecting too much dust, and that I should use the inexpensive filters, I had been using the filtreet (spelling?) trying to keep the air clean for the kids and for my allergies. Could this be the problem or should I persist in having the system repaired?

Old 03-13-03, 02:22 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Air filters

I have run into this before, but you will know it's true only if the high limit is opening, check the temperature difference of air going in verses out, it should be about 55F, the high end would be 70F. Tell him you want a spaceguard 201 air filter installed. Trade price is about $20.00, retail probly $38.00, this filter doesn't need to be changed as often either, it's a 4" deep pleated air filter. The initial cost for the tray will be a bit up there but if I had a warm air furnace this is what I would have, It should help with removing dust rather than letting it pass thru 16 times before it gets trapped. The Filtrete is slowing down the air flow too much. One way is to increase the surface area. This can be done by running two filter trays in the duct at an angle, thereby doubling the filter area, reducing the restriction. Most companies state in their literature not to use the built in filter tray that comes with the unit, rather, remote the filter to the duct work. Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-03, 02:34 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Clarity...

I should try clear this up a bit... by two filters, I mean one long filter tray where you would insert two filters in, end to end..(ie) if you had a 20X20X1 you would then have a 20X40X1 filter. Get one dimension of the duct that is common and then come up with a combination of common sizes you can get locally to determine the length. common 1 " filter widths are 14,15,16,&20...common lengths are 20 and 25, these sizes are like lumber....short by about 1/2". Make sure the filter tray is pop rivited in from the inside to make it easy to slide the filters in and out. screw heads tend to get in the way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: