furnace circulator pump

Old 03-20-03, 09:14 AM
triumfridr
Visiting Guest
furnace circulator pump

I made the mistake of taking off the impellor housing from the pipes without noting which direction the water flow indicator arrow was pointing. I bought a new impellor and want to put it back on, but need to reinstall the cast iron housing first with the arrow pointing in the right direction. Does it go up towards the radiators or down, back thru the furnace? Help, it's C O L D in here!!! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-03, 09:30 AM
I checked on mine and the flow is to the furnace

Old 03-20-03, 09:41 AM
triumfridr
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Frank! Now, if I can figure out how to get water back into the system, I'll be good.

Old 03-20-03, 10:12 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
It can be either. Some hot water systems pump water away from the boiler after it is heated, some pump toward the boiler after it returns from the house. If the system is at all modern, it will have a device called a "flow check" which keeps water from circulating in the wrong direction or while the boiler is off. The flow check will have an arrow on it indicating the direction of flow.

Old 03-20-03, 10:30 AM
triumfridr
Visiting Guest
This is a 50 year old house with the original furnace in it. It has a Bell & Gossett pump on the system. Is there a way I can tell or am I going to have to call a plumber? Thanks. Steve

Old 03-20-03, 11:21 AM
boiler

All the pumps I put on that long ago where on the return line going to the boiler.Like Brewbeer said there should be what we call an antigravity valve there on the boiler and it should show what way the water should go. To fill the boiler after every thing is back turn the water on you should have an auto fill there. and start bleeding all the bleeder valves starting with the lowes till you get water out of it then go to the next and next till you get water out of the top most. One story you should have about 13 --15 psi on the boiler.dont turn the boiler on till you have it full of water. ED

Old 03-20-03, 11:28 AM
triumfridr
Visiting Guest
Ed, Thanks for the reply. If you are still logged on, I did turn on the valves again but didn't hear any water movement. Am I missing something? Did I drain too much out before starting, maybe? It is a one-story house. By bleeding, I assume you mean at the radiators. Thanks, again! Steve

Old 03-20-03, 01:09 PM
boiler

You have to get the air and then some water to come out of all of the bleeders before you should turn the boiler on ED