how do i prime my diesel heater?

Old 03-21-03, 12:25 AM
nixsmith
Visiting Guest
how do i prime my diesel heater?

I have a diesel oil heater that is at least 53 years old, possibly older. it does not seem to be able to keep itself on when there is less than a quarter tank in it, but the next time i have my maintenance guy turn it back on it's going to cost me 150 bucks. can anyone tell me how to "prime" the pump? i do plan on putting more oil in before doing this since i know part of the problem is that there wasn't enough oil to keep it going. i appreciate any help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-03, 12:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Give us a little more info and we can help. What brand and type of heater is it? I'm assuming it is an oil burner. Is it a furnace or a unit heater? Does it have a gun style burner? If so, get a name off the burner. Is the tank underground? If not, where is it in relation to the heater?

Old 03-21-03, 01:41 PM
nixsmith
Visiting Guest
the pump is diesel fueled and probably at least 50 years old. the only other info i can give you about it is what it says on the front which is "radiant utilities corp. new york" and the numbers "265-37" and either "SA" or "5A" and under that "265-38" and either "SA" or "5A". the pump is located in the basement about 15 feet away from the pump, and i just put 100 gallons into it today to put it at a total of about 120 gallons. i know that the pump is getting oil, it just doesn't seem to be spraying it onto the starter. i know that when the guy pumped it last weekend he mentioned something about there being air that had to be purged from the system. is this enough information? we're cold!!

Old 03-21-03, 02:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think I can be of any help with that one. Unless you could post a picture, I would be taking a shot in the dark. Sorry.

Old 03-21-03, 02:31 PM
nixsmith
Visiting Guest
i will take pictures tonight and post them : )