Stacking A/C compressors

Old 03-24-03, 02:05 PM
sclancy
Visiting Guest
Stacking A/C compressors

I have 2 a/c compressors sitting side by side. Any reason why I cant build a pressure treated platform and stack them so long as the fan on the top of the lower one is not blocked (I will stagger them somewhat)?? I assume the building code shouldnt care that one of the units is elevated.

I am doing this b/c they are located behind our townhouse and the yard is very small - it would be nice to make the HVAC footprint smaller.

Old 03-24-03, 03:32 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Don't assume the building codes for your area, check! It would be a pain if you did do it and then found you'd have to move it to sell the house. Also, most townhouse complexes do have homeowner associations, which may not allow it in the complex...
Remember, if you do raise it, make the platform big enough for someone to work on the unit.

Old 03-24-03, 04:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The main reason would be airflow. Most manufacturers require 5 feet od space above the unit for discharge of heated air. If anything above diverts the air and causes it to be redrawn into the condensor, the efficiency decreases alot. It will eventually lead to compressor failure. I have seen it 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years when people build a deck over their unit. Even with 3 feet over the unit, it won't be enough. The lower unit will be discharging air into the area required by the upper unit for intake. Not to mention serviceability. There are units available that discharge horizontally, but that would require replacement. Probably not a cost effective option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: