Is it a furnace or a trombone?

Old 03-22-03, 07:36 PM
zonedout
Visiting Guest
Question Is it a furnace or a trombone?

Our furnace/HVAC system has recently taken on a new identity. It is starting to sounds more like a trombone than a furnace. Periodically (seems to be increasing), our system will make a loud horn-like sound when it is running. I'm sure it's air in the pipes or something to that effect but I'm not exactly sure on how to purge the system to get rid of the air. Also, I noticed a small amount of water coming out of the "overflow" pipe on the side of the furnace when it was making that sound.

Any ideas? I have a Trianco Heatmaker Mark II, gas-fired HWBD system.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-03, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What does the temperature gauge read when the sound is going on? I suspect that your high limit control is either set too high or malfunctioning. It could be other things like a circulator but the high temp would also raise pressure that would cause the relief valve to open. Check that temperature ASAP and if you are comfortable opening up the cover on the temp controls, see where they are set.

Old 03-23-03, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Check the boiler PRESSURE

See if its around 30 PSI, if so, the safety SHOULD open and dump water on the floor (or into a bucket ). Check the expansion tank for 12 PSI (when the boiler pressure is at zero PSI ), this will require shutting off the boiler fill and a partial draining of the boiler till it reaches 0 PSI . Tap the side of the expansion tank. It should make an empty sound..if it makes a thud or solid sound, the tank needs replacement. refill the boiler...make sure you can hear the air coming out of the air vent, on the air scoop.