Geothermal. Is it worth the cost?

Old 03-24-03, 07:11 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Geothermal. Is it worth the cost?

I will building a 2900 Sq ft house. I live in central PA. Is it worth the extra cost and about how long untill I recoup the extra cost?

Old 03-24-03, 10:02 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
How long is the payback period? That depends on the quotes you have received for the project you are proposing.

How much will it cost to install a more traditional heating system? What kind of fuel will it use?

How much will it cost to install a ground source heat pump (geothermal)? How expensive is electricity in your area?

Find the answers to these questions and you will be able to make a better guess at a payback period.

Old 03-24-03, 10:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Geoooo

Just my 2 cents here
go to www.warmair.net and see how you come out with the fuel cost where you live.

If you do want to go this way with a geothermal set up I would say dont go with all of the water to water well to well and in ground water pipes. There is just to many things to work on and keep running so it keeps working and not break down.

If you are still thing GEO Look at www.amgeo.com
now this is what is called Geothermal DX or DXG . Lets say the high side of your unit or the copper lines with the refrigerant in them are under ground and get cool or warm there.
In the other kind with water or lines in the ground it cools the water or heats the water and this has to go in and cool or heat the refrigerant and you have to have the water pumps running todo that.
You also want to look at what is your ground like there, would it be easy to put a set up like this in and at what cost.
Have done some , but the cost is high cause of all the rock here. So will you stay in the home say 10 or 15 years for pay back. Get a cost for both Air to air and GEO DX and see ED

Old 03-25-03, 05:36 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Pay back peeiod, on the average for a geothermal system is 8yrs. And yes in a new home it would be worth it. You will probably be there longer than that. Electric operating costs are 50%+ less.
You can get much more information from the Geothermal Heat Pump Association at www.igshpa.okstate.edu

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: