Thermostat wiring and a sub zone

Old 03-28-03, 11:19 AM
POS Guy
Visiting Guest
Thermostat wiring and a sub zone

Hello,

Im installing a Normally Closed 24V damper to a room to create a sub zone. This way I can cut off/reduce the Heat/AC to that room overnight or when not needed.

I plan to take the common of the 24v transformer to one of the damper wires, the other 24v wire to the RH/RC lead on the thermostat.

After researching the terminals of standard thermostats, do I connect to the Fan terminal (G) back to the damper? Does the G terminal energize whether there is a call for heat or AC.

Thanks
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-03, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The terminals on the thermostat are as follows.
R-power from the lv transformer. If you have an RH terminal it is powered by the heating transformer.
RC-(if you have one) power from the cooling transformer.
W-closes on call for heat and sends power from R back to heat control.
Y-closes on a call for cooling and sends power to the a/c contactor.
G-closes on a call for cooling only and sends power back to the fan relay.

That should cover all the terminals on a normal (non heat pump) thermostat.

If you are planning on using a thermostat in that room just to control the damper (which is what I thought you meant) Then you would wire as you explained. Common from transformer to one side of damper motor, other side of transformer to tstat-R and tstat-W to damper motor. That would take care of hat mode. Then you need to connect a jumper from the W to the Y terminal. That way when you switch the sub-base from heat to cool, the damper will still open. Don't connect anything to the G terminal.

Good Luck

Old 03-28-03, 01:20 PM
POS Guy
Visiting Guest
Yes, exactly what I needed. Great, Thanks.

I have both RC and RH. Do I jump them too.

Anthony

Old 03-28-03, 01:34 PM
Zone

My 2 cents good or bad. Too put a zone in for upstairs or for down stairs works out not to bad for heat or cool. But to put a zone for a room on the same floor not so good.The room has out side walls they have insulation in them to help keep the room say warm. Now the inside wall dont have insulation in them. So if you close the register in that room and drop the temp in that room. Now we have say two walls in the home that are like outside wall and they have no insulation in them. I have seen in the past that people who have tried too close off a room or two in a home to save on fuel Have not saved anything. To close the damper to the room a little Ok. To do what you want and lower the temp a little OK. But to close it down over night or when you dont use it Is not to good. All I can say is been there done that ED

Old 03-28-03, 01:46 PM
POS Guy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed,

Im not trying to save $ on energy bills, I just need to pump more A/C upstairs overnight. An experiment really... If it doesnt work ill have to upgrade my HVAC system.

Anthony

Old 03-28-03, 01:55 PM
cool

Have you tried to let the blower run all of the time like on low when the AC is off and high when it on? have you tried to close down a little or damper down a little on all of the reg that are down stairs? ED

Old 03-28-03, 01:58 PM
POS Guy
Visiting Guest
Not yet. Im putting an 18 x 18 addition on and am up to mechanical. I will certainly try that though, thanks.
Anthony

Old 03-28-03, 07:12 PM
Yes, you will have to jumper RH to RC also.