Heat won't work...please help!!

Old 03-30-03, 08:38 AM
jeebus
Visiting Guest
Heat won't work...please help!!

Hello all, I am brand new to the forum and a novice at home repair, so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
I have forced air gas heat in my house. We had a cold snap yesterday and this morning I woke up to a very cold house. The thermostat is set on about 72, and the thermometer is reading about 60. The other switch is set to "auto". Although when I switched it to "on" only cold air blew out of the vents.
I went outside to the unit and took the panel off, thinking that maybe a pilot light needed to be lit. However the instructions inside the panel said that there was an automatic pilot light system and that I should not try to light anything, so I didn't.
The unit outside is making a hissing/rumbling noise that it usually makes shortly before it starts blowing hot air, except that no air at all is coming out of the vents in the house.
I would greatly appreciate any advice any of you have! And please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-03, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
possibly

bad ignitor. what brand/model is the unit? sounds like a package unit. do you have a multimeter?

Old 03-30-03, 09:48 AM
jeebus
Visiting Guest
It is a Condorde...

The model # is PGE10A42D100A-4A...It is ~4-5years old. I don't have a multimeter. Would an ignitor be difficult for a complete novice like me to fix?
Thank you very much for your help.

Old 03-30-03, 11:15 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
Dear Jeebus--

Before doing anything else, do the following the insure that the ignition system has not locked itself out:

Set the thermostat to it's lowest setting and turn the switch on the thermostat from "heat" to "off". Next, turn off the power to the furnace for 2-3 minutes. Then turn the power back on to the furnace, turn the thermostat switch back to "heat" and turn up the thermostat to it's highest setting.

The Concorde furnace is made by Armstrong (a division of Lennox Industries) We are an Armstrong Dealer and have recieved a technical bulletin reporting a problem like yours. It seems many techs were replacing boards and/or ignitors unnecessarily because the board was locked and did not have the power disconnected long enough to reset it.

If this does not help, and your furnace is less than 5 years old, call an authorized Concorde Distributor for service as your furnace parts would still be under warranty and ANY self-replacement will void your warranty (including the 20 year Heat Exchanger Warranty). Additionally, there have been several revisions since the model number of your furnace and any parts such as the ignition board, ignitors and gas valves may require a different replacement part other than what is listed at common supply houses.

Should you have a problem locating a distributor, let me know.

Hope this helps...let us know

Old 03-30-03, 11:36 AM
firsthvac is right

5 yr warranty on that unit, DO NOT REPLACE A PART UNLESS YOU KNOW IT IS BAD!

Old 03-30-03, 03:35 PM
jeebus
Visiting Guest
I tried what you recommended, but got no result, unfortunately. Previously, I took off the service panel and turned the heat on to see if there was anything happening at all. There was no flame, but I could faintly smell gas around the unit. I will definitely try to find an authorized dealer who can help me. Any recommendations in the Knoxville, TN area?
Thank you all very much for your help. This place is a goldmine of information and resources.

Alex

Old 03-30-03, 03:45 PM
ignitor

is what it sounds like, especially when you mentioned the gas smell. the valve would open for a short time until the flame sensor failed to sense flame, gut instinct is ignitor.

Old 03-30-03, 09:55 PM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
Call the below listed company. Tell them what kind of furnace you have, the model number, the serial number, the date it was installed and that you need an authorized Concorde Service company:

Murphy Brother's Mechanical Contractors
Powell, TN
865-945-3866 or 865-388-6262

They been around a while and should be able to help you or at least refer you to the Armstrong Factory Customer Service number which can locate the nearest service representative to you.

Hope this helps...let us know what happens

Old 03-31-03, 08:09 AM
jeebus
Visiting Guest
I'll call them today. 'Bout froze my butt off in the house this morning! Thank you all very much for all of your help.

Old 03-31-03, 02:05 PM
jeebus
Visiting Guest
Got a company to come out and fix my furnace under warranty today. It was the control board thing with all the electronics on it. He said they had had a bunch of problems with those. In any case, it's SO nice to feel warm again! Thanks again to everyone for the help. I'm very happy to have found this great resource.