Furnace Draft fan draws fireplace smoke

Old 03-30-03, 11:15 AM
kannobe
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Furnace Draft fan draws fireplace smoke

We recently purchased a home that has a ten year old furnace with a draft fan. The draft fan is connected to the 50+ year old flue (new liner) that draws air from the top of our chimney. This is the same as our fireplace chimney. when using our wood burning fireplace the draft fan draws chimney smoke into our basement...not enough to see, but the smell is apparent. My question is this .... I've noticed in newer homes that a 3" PVC line oftentimes runs from the furnace draft fan directly outside to the nearest wall. Would this be a possible solution for me? Is there a special thickness PVC that is used so that it won't melt? Also I've noticed that some homes have two pieces of PVC running outside, one looks like a Sewer trap, and one is smaller in diameter--What are these?

Old 03-30-03, 11:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pvc can only be used to vent a 90% or better efficiency unit. i would NEVER use the same chase for the flue that the fireplace is also using. the fan you mention should be exausting the flue gas to the outside, not necessarily a fresh air intake. it is possible that you need more combustion air to the furnace, what make/model is it? if it is currently vented with pvc i would assume it is a 90%er, and if so you should be able to vent it out the sidewall, keeping a fall back to the furnace. more info needed here.

Old 03-30-03, 01:29 PM
kannobe
Visiting Guest
chimney smoke with draft fan

Thanks for your quick response, I just checked the make and model number of my furnace.. York #p2mpd14wo8001b. I couldn't find anything with the efficiency rating though. It is currently vented with steel pipe which exhausts seperately but next to the the fireplace stack.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: