Duct Cleaning????

Old 03-31-03, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Duct Cleaning????

I HAVE A QUESTION

I HAVE A OLDER HOME THAT I AM RENOVATING. (1940'S)

DURING ONE OF MY MANY RENOVATION PROJECTS I NOTICED THAT THE INSIDE OF MY DUCT WORK IS FILTHY.

DO THESE DUCT CLEANING SERVICES WORK?

ARE THEIR DIFFRENT CLEANING METHODS?

IF SO, IS ONE METHOD BETTER THAN ANOTHER?

WHAT SHOULD I ASK A CONTRACTOR BEFORE HIRING THEM?

LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS.

THANKS,
MECHRUS

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cleaning ducts

First things first. Are you ducts the formed sheet metal type? If so, yes the should be cleaned. If they are the flex duct with the grey plastic outside they are probably falling apart and should be replaced. If they are flex duct, shiny metallic outside, they can be cleaned. If they are the rectangular, formed ductboard type, they should be inspected to make sure they are holding up.
Cleaning is a good idea, but preventing dirt is more important. Cleaning your coil and heat exchanger, and using a good PLEATED filter to keep things clean is a good idea. The blue fiberglass filters don't filter. Also the ones that are "just like on nuclear submarines" don't do what they advertise. The air returns can't "change out" the air in your house. If they could you would never have any dust anywhere.
On cleaning services, yes they work, if they have the brushes etc to put into the ducts to remove the crud. Just vacuuming won't work. Also, some "cleaning" services just want to spray a glue into the ducts to keep the dust in place.
Just my humble opinion after maintaining several dozen rental houses in the air conditioning capital of the US.
frank