flue requirements

Old 04-02-03, 09:54 AM
huckw
Visiting Guest
flue requirements

I've got a house with a relatively modern (1987) gas furnace that is vented up the existing chimney (through galvanized sheetmetal stovepipe), and the chimney takes up a lot of space in my kitchen (about 2 x 2.5 feet), as well as in the attic I'm about to finish. I also have a gas water heater vented through it. If the code is likely to allow it, I'd like to take out the chimney and replace it all with a more space saving vent arrangement. I presume the furnace is not the kind of high-efficiency unit that can be vented directly out the side of the house (or I assume that would have been done on install).

What, generally, are the minimum requirements for spacing, insulation, surrounding materials, etc.? Can I improve on this arrangement substantially...or should I just deal with it? (If anyone knows the specific codes, I'm in Minnesota.)

Thanks,

Huck

Old 04-02-03, 11:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
new flue

If you have an older furnace with the regular vent on it. You should be able to take and pull out what you now have and put up a new Type B gas vent pipe. Where you buy it should have a chart that will give you the size you need for the furnace + the water heater vent also . You have to run it on up to clear the roof line. With this pipe you should only need a 1" air space around it to box it in. Still check out code there . you could get by with just about12"X12" after you drywall it in ED

Old 04-02-03, 11:30 AM
huckw
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Ed! 12"x12" is pretty much what I was picturing, and hoping I might get away with. I'll check the codes before I do anything with it, though. Very cool!

Old 04-02-03, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if your furnace

still has the paperwork with it, the venting table may be included in it

Old 04-03-03, 06:00 AM
huckw
Visiting Guest
I don't know if I've got the paperwork yet or not - I'll check. If my memory serves, it's a Lennox G16 Q3-75-5. It's only got a 3" vent stack at the moment, tied in with a 4" water heater vent stack (why is this bigger?), both of them running into a 6" stack heading up the old chimney.

Huck

Old 04-03-03, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Vent

Boy dont know for sure but think the furnace is a 4" there on that 75 and most water heaters are 3". But any shop or store that has the B vent pipe should have a chart for what size you need ED

Old 04-03-03, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tell us location of all vented

equipment, btu rating, estimated horizontal and vertical run and we can tell you what size

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: