heat pump wire size?

Old 04-05-03, 02:49 AM
heat pump wire size?

I have a 1630sq ft house, in which I'm wiring myself. and I'm getting estimates on heating and air soon, but need to know what size wie to run over to it? approx. sixe should bea 3 1/2 ton unit.. thanks Buckman

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-03, 06:10 AM
Smile Amperage??

The amperage to the unit determines the wire size not the tonnage. If it's a split, which most are, the indoor unit will have a nice thick wire so read the data tag on the unit for min/max fuse size. The indoor unit and outdoor unit are on two separate dedicated circuits.

Old 04-05-03, 12:16 PM
typical

3.5 ton split system 10 seer requires a #8 wire. typical. different models require more or less. if this is going to be a heat pump, you will need to size the indoor wire to the kw of heat strips installed.

Old 04-05-03, 11:51 PM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
I wholeheartedly agree with JUNO and HVAC4U about the variables concerning HVAC wiring; and, naturally, you want to be sure to get it right the first time.

Therefore, if your getting estimates for the installation of your heat/cool system, it would be logical to ASK THE LOCAL CONTRACTOR who will install your system what wire size you will need, since they should know best about your local code requirements and what amperage the equipment will require for wiring, circuit breakers, disconnects, etc.

Hope this helps...let us know

Old 04-06-03, 09:37 AM
Inspection

Also, make sure the installer pulls the permit from the town hall inspectors office and that it GETS INSPECTED!!! This also protects you the home owner from short cuts/ improper installation, especially if you don't know what to look for.

Old 04-06-03, 09:40 AM
Wire size

Lets not forget ---- How far is the run too the AC for wire size ED

Old 04-06-03, 09:51 AM
Yes

just another reason to go 208/230 volt... If you ran 115V the wire is more expensive and draws higher amps.