Hot Surface Ignitor Stays Lit!!

Old 04-09-03, 01:58 PM
ballen1
Visiting Guest
Hot Surface Ignitor Stays Lit!!

hope u fine people can help me. anyhow i have a gas fired heater, (goodman) it uses a hot surface ignitor to lite the furnace, yesterday i noticed the unit was off but suddenly the blower started running and hot surface ignitor was on (glowing yellow) but furnace never came on, and the blower stayed running. checked thermostat, and switched to "cool" although the outside unit kicked on the hot surface ignitor stayed on along with the blower. i then switched tstat to "off" blower and ignitor stayed on!!, switch tstat to "heat" furnace never came on, only ignitor and blower. i looked at the wires from the tstat, they spliced to wires running to some kind of control board, from that control board there are leads goin to the blower, furnace gas "on-off" control, ignitor, and some sort of thero sensors mounted in 3 areas of the furnace. I bypassed all the termo sensors, (jumpered the two leads) on all 3 sensors, didnt correct the problem. damn blower and ignitor comes on. only way i can keep them off is to keep the furnace door open killing the power to the damn thing.

any help is greatly appeciated
billy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-03, 02:25 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Replace the control board..

Old 04-09-03, 04:22 PM
ballen1
Visiting Guest
how common are bad boards?

thanks for reply, but the unit is only 2 yrs old, everything was replaced 2 yrs ago, complete outside unit, furnace, A-coils and all that. how often do control boards on goodman units go bad??
and is there a way for me to be completely sure its the board?? what kinds of test can i run on the board???

thanks so very much

billy

Old 04-09-03, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no suprise here

board is bad, you get what you pay for. goodman is WAY low end. what warranty do you have? if installed by a contractor, you may get a new one, if not.......

Old 04-09-03, 10:55 PM
ballen1
Visiting Guest
thanks for help

thanks for the advice fellas, i'll try to get a replacement tomorrow.

billy

Old 04-10-03, 03:09 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Goodman warrenties all parts for 5yrs. Part is covered, you pay labor. The control board has a relay in it that turns on the HSI. If you got nothing on and it's still on that's all it could be. Like the man, 'Goodman is cheap'

Old 04-10-03, 06:10 PM
ballen1
Visiting Guest
no warranty, i guess

unit was purchased off ebay, brand new though about 2 yrs ago, so i dont know how i'm gunna get it warrantied, also went and tried to get the board today at a goodman distrubition center, but the guy wouldnt even sell it to me, cause i'm not a licensed A/C contractor....THAT SUCKED!!! now i cant save money in doing the job myself, i gotta go through a damn middle man.

like u said like the man he is "goodman" sucks!!!!

never had problems buying parts for my RUDD system i replaced 2 years ago.

billy

Old 04-10-03, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are some online HVAC suppliers that will sell parts. There are also some local suppliers that will do this. Try an appliance supplier.